Oil Burner not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sterling 40 oil burner on an HCC boiler controlled by a Landis & Gyr controller (RVP75.230/1051 Pr.Kl 2 950707C).
The Danfos pump (Type BFP 11L3) has a solenoid valve, which is not being energised when the burner is started.
I suspect the controller...
What do you guys think?
And if it is the controller, where are they available?

Many thanks.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Controller is sometimes at fault, but not often. Have you pulled the photocell out to have a look at it? They often fall apart.

But he's just trying to fix the fault, he's not a "professional". ;)

Sponsored Links
Just a cowboy....!
I pulled the burner out, I removed the solenoid coil, I put an Allen key into the hole where the actuator fits. I then switched the burner on and the steel allen key never moved, and the burner locked out.
I also checked that the oil wasn't coming out when the motor was running by undoing the pipe to the nozzle.
The photocell is clean and looks OK.
The oil should come before the photocell is needed surely.

Bill

If the photocell is faulty, the cycle will terminate. Therefore no oil. Check the continuity of the coil. I know a way of testing it in circuit, but it's not approved.

Hi Oilman,
Sometimes the cycle terminates without the lockout lamp coming on, sometimes it comes on.
Sometimes the flame established for a shorter or longer time. But not now.
The complete unit is about 12 years old, and has never been touched - no service ever, and this is the first and only hiccup.

Bill

But at that age it's not just a matter of fixing 1 fault, there are probably a load of subtle problems lurking as well. It could be more than 1 fault to give the symptoms. If you havn't had any work on it for years, it's time for a treat.

Bill Kerr said:
[Needs looking at then]

That's what I'm trying to do!
You should heed oilman's advice.

I've seen this phenomenon when fixing all manner of machinery - appliances and engines and the like can all limp along for years with a large collection of minor faults, until they've had enough, then you have to fix every single last fault before they'll burst back into life.

Not servicing things is a false economy. Always.

Have you tried this...
Turn of the oil supply and remove the control box with a small piece of cable link out the incoming 240v supply and the coil feed (solenoid) you should hear a click to verify the solenoid is working. BE CAREFUL

Pull the wire socket out of the solenoid and test for voltage with multimeter,if theres 240 there but solenoid not energising the you need new solenoid.If there isnt 240v present id suspect the photocell-removing the control box youll see the wire connections-photocell is conection 1 and 2-test for resistance with it in light and out of light-if you remove 1 of the terminals(1 or 2) burner may then light-but will then go out after a short period-if this happens then its deff the photocell.
When solenoid is off the motor,remove burner amd check the spark electrodes are sparking ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back