Oil combi - Mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please may I get some advice from the plumbing experts here.

Time for a new shower enclosure.

I want to replace my aging electric shower with a good thermostatic mixer supplied from a Worcester OIL Heatslave combi boiler.

I have looked at all the major brands and examined as many Installation Manuals as I can find. All of them state that the combi MUST be "fully modulating". Further research indicates that there are very few (if any) domestic oil-fired combi boilers that modulate - mine certainly does not.

My bath mixer tap works perfectly OK and I'm sure that If I stuck a high pressure bath shower mixer on the bath then that would also work. So why do a need a fully modulating boiler to supply a shower "tap"? All I want to do is to connect two water pipes to a mixer and have the water come out of a tap with lots of small holes in it!

Any help on a work-around would be very welcome.
(A new electric shower is a last resort because I would need an electrician to install an MCB and he wouldn't like my wired fuses and I'll end up with a complete rewire.)

TIA.

Sponsored Links
No oil combis modulate, not mainstream ones anyway. I think the Germans have them but their oil is different.

I cannot see any reason why you could not fit a thermo mixer to an oiler. Unless they are worried about the hot supply modulating the cold. This would imply the cartridge reaction time was slow.

In which case have you tried investigating the instructions for a continually thermistor based variable mixer like the Aqualisa Quartz range?

Thank you Simon.

Food for thought. I'm off to follow up your Aquilisa Quartz lead.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back