Oil Filters

Gates are good belts, but they only offer a limited warranty, 2 years or 12k miles (might be 24k), even if like with the PSA 1.6 hdi the belt change is 100k or 10 years they don't care.

In contrast is INA (part of schaeffler group) there warranty is the service life of the belt, so if the manufacturer says the belt should be changed 100k or 10 years that's how long the warranty is.

INA also supply gates with the majority of their roller gear, so it is an odd one.

Sponsored Links
An example.....Quantum oil for VAG long drain. 5 litres needed.
Newcastle Audi....around £80 :eek: only one litre bottles available. That was an A1, 61 plate under warranty.
Silbury Skoda.......around £25 for a 5 litre bottle of exactly the same stuff. That’s for a 2.0 Yeti, 65 plate, under warranty.
How ridiculous is that?
John :)

Different clientele, different prices.

I was that clientele, but its still a rip off.....regarding Newcastle Audi, I don’t really need a pair of 5” heels to greet me and direct me to the ‘parts executive’ :ROFLMAO:
Especially when I’ve known the guy for years!

I was that clientele, but its still a rip off.....regarding Newcastle Audi, I don’t really need a pair of 5” heels to greet me and direct me to the ‘parts executive’ :ROFLMAO:
Especially when I’ve known the guy for years!

Ha ha

You've got savvy, there are many many that dont

Sponsored Links
The European aftermarket is very different to that of the rest of the world, the European market is regulated.

It is not. There is no European legislation about the suitability of spare parts: general consumer legislation will bite if you say it fits "2008 onwards " and it provably doesn't , but before then nothing happens , nor can happen.

It is not. There is no European legislation about the suitability of spare parts: general consumer legislation will bite if you say it fits "2008 onwards " and it provably doesn't , but before then nothing happens , nor can happen.

The regulation has been in place since 2003 and has been updated regularly, the last update was in 2010, and the next one will be in time for 2023.

The regulation does state that the parts must be of at least matching quality to that supplied by the manufacturer so as not to void the warranty of the vehicle.

This means that all parts supplied since 2003 by well known brands have ensured their components do match, this is because they want to take advantage of the block exemption ruling to sell more parts and make more money. Vehicle manufactures warranties have increased over time, most now offer at least 5 years, with some increased to 7, engines generally have a design life of 2x model series with only minor updates carried out.

Because of the above a vehicle series has upto 14 years warranty life, which means parts will have to be produced for 14 years to matching OE standards.

for parts producers into the aftermarket this isn't worth altering the design of the component to make it cheaper, the cost savings of making a component cheaper are not worth it, you would be talking pence per unit.

You are correct that there is no checks carried out by a governing body into the suitability of components and that the producers self regulate. But the key is that no manufacture wants a law suit this keeps the businesses in check.

here’s a divisive one for you.
my xf has a timing belt interval of 10 yrs or 100k .
my vivaro which i service myself has a 4 year interval or 60k i think . i’ve changed the belts and pump every 4 years religiously. this time though i’ve let it go , we’re on 4 years 10 months so far.

The regulation has been in place since 2003 and has been updated regularly, the last update was in 2010,

Once again I ask you to link the regulation AND quote the actual relevant text.

"You are correct that there is no checks carried out by a governing body into the suitability of components and that the producers self regulate."

Self- certification - which is what I presume you mean - is never available to just anyone ; they have to be a known quantity. It would therefore be acceptable for car manufacturers or known long-standing members of trade-bodies to self-certify, but not an unknown producer from China, India - or indeed - Britain.

Last edited:
Once again I ask you to link the regulation AND quote the actual relevant text.

"You are correct that there is no checks carried out by a governing body into the suitability of components and that the producers self regulate."

Self- certification - which is what I presume you mean - is never available to just anyone ; they have to be a known quantity. It would therefore be acceptable for car manufacturers or known long-standing members of trade-bodies to self-certify, but not an unknown producer from China, India - or indeed - Britain.

dont start this bull again, all you have to do is search for Automotive Block Exemption legislation and mountains of information will turn up. here is a link for you though,

https://www.figiefa.eu/new-competition-law-framework/

"Even though vehicle manufacturers bear this burden of proof, in order to facilitate sales from independent distributors to the members of the authorised networks and to avoid possible legal challenges from the vehicle manufacturers, parts suppliers are invited to issue – on demand – a (self-) certificate for the quality of their parts (e.g. in the packaging, as a separate declaration, or a notice on the Internet)."

"In order to be considered as being of “matching quality”, parts must be of a sufficiently high quality that their use does not, according to the EU Commission, “endanger the reputation of the authorised repair network”. The burden to prove that a part does not fulfil this requirement falls upon the vehicle manufacturer who must bring evidence to that effect in case it wants to discourage authorised repairers from using such parts."

You have clearly completely misunderstood what block exemption means.

It exempts manufacturers from the EU regulations on free trade and competition for the warranty -period of the vehicle ( in this case) or product generally. During this period where they are "at risk " they can insist that either their genuine part or a part of equal quality is used on the vehicle.

Just about everybody reading this will know that to avoid any possible legal problems during the warranty period, you stick to genuine manufacturers parts and this is the result of the block exemption. Equally , after that, you will buy what you think is right according to their own ideas on quality/availability and price and nobody believes that all these parts must, by regulation, be as good as the o.e. parts.

The most that these parts will state is that they conform to industry standard xxxxxxxxxx and there will be no claim to meet the standard of the o.e. manufacturer.

Burnerman : John, you buy lots of parts, I imagine. Do any from suppliers like BluePrint - or any others - ever make any claims to be as good as the Ford/Kia/Toyota part or meet those manufacturers' standards ?

It exempts manufacturers from the EU regulations on free trade and competition for the warranty -period of the vehicle ( in this case) or product generally. During this period where they are "at risk " they can insist that either their genuine part or a part of equal quality is used on the vehicle.

Just about everybody reading this will know that to avoid any possible legal problems during the warranty period, you stick to genuine manufacturers parts and this is the result of the block exemption. Equally , after that, you will buy what you think is right according to their own ideas on quality/availability and price and nobody believes that all these parts must, by regulation, be as good as the o.e. parts.

The most that these parts will state is that they conform to industry standard xxxxxxxxxx and there will be no claim to meet the standard of the o.e. manufacturer.

Burnerman : John, you buy lots of parts, I imagine. Do any from suppliers like BluePrint - or any others - ever make any claims to be as good as the Ford/Kia/Toyota part or meet those manufacturers' standards ?
I don't think they can, unless they wanna find themselves in court.
Also I think that it would be commercially counterproductive because they supply car manufacturers or they would like to have the contract, so they avoid all sorts of litigation.

Afternoon Mointain, hope all’s well with you!
I’ve never seen any claims regarding the Blueprint make, all I can say is that I like what I see, the local factor rates them and the local independant garage I use from time to time uses them too.
I’ve mentioned the quality of the discs and the visible quality of the filters, and for example the oil filters have a plastic seal over the threaded hole ( canister type) and are in a sealed bag (cartridge type).
I’m not in the motor trade but have been sorting cars for many years, and the factors do give me a good discount which makes Blueprint competitive.
There are very few service items that Blueprint don’t do, but springs seem to be one of them.

Yes the manufacturer does insist that a part of equal quality is fitted, I'm not sure how that invalidates what I have written.

Blueprint do claim that their parts are as good as the OEM. So does febi whom own blueprint, along with various other brands.

The rules clearly state that the point of block exemption is to increase competition so that car manufacturers do not have a monopoly. The latest regulations even go as far as to say that using after market parts or independent garages cannot interfere with the warranty providing a certificate can be supplied noting they are of OEM quality. However the document I provided the link to does state that manufacturers still flour the rules when honouring warranty work.

It does not do as you say exempt manufacturers from the ruling for the warranty.

Last edited:
An example.....Quantum oil for VAG long drain. 5 litres needed.
Newcastle Audi....around £80 :eek: only one litre bottles available. That was an A1, 61 plate under warranty.
Silbury Skoda.......around £25 for a 5 litre bottle of exactly the same stuff. That’s for a 2.0 Yeti, 65 plate, under warranty.
How ridiculous is that?

Probably the same with the cars. Audi built by Jurgen in Ingolstadt or something similar built by Jiří in CZ with a Skoda badge on it. Just the Skoda is a lot less money.

Sponsored Links
Back