Oil Fired Camray 3 - what to replace with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this last winter

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40787&highlight=camray+3

Seemed to be fine after the above.

Had it serviced about a month after the above and now it's started the same again - cleaned filter again but this time it doesn't want to sort itself, there was a fair amount of dirt in the filter.

Boiler locks out - reset, then it makes a buzzing noise (solenoid?) then click and lock out again. It'll do this two or three times but then the fan kicks in and the boiler starts up and runs fine.

Any thoughts?

Boiler is approaching 10yrs old, it's boxing day and I'm a bit fed up with this boiler. When I do get someone to come and have a look, if it's stuffed, what should I replace it with?

It's an oil fired Camray 3 model 70/90. It sits in the garage attached to the house (utility room model?) It's connected to a Gledhill Boilermate Heatstore - does this mean it's a standard or Combi boiler?

Any words of wisdom welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Debris may have damaged pump and it's sticking on motor shaft/coupling hence buzzing. Camray 5 out for some years model 65/90 available (not a combi if joined to boilermate). Heard condensing Camray 6 due out.

Don't replace the boiler unless it' leaking water, that's just an incompent service technician's approach. Check the value of the motor run capacitor. I bet it's less than 3uF, and it should be near 4uF. These boilers are ok, and spares are easily available.

The buzzing is the motor can't start because there's not enough torque from the capacitor.

Thanks chaps - I've managed to get the chap who services it to come over on Thurs or Fri. He reckoned it was either the capacitor or motor sticking - as you've both said above.
Says he has both in stock so hopefully we can keep kick starting it for another couple of days till he gets over.

One final thought - given this is the 2nd winter this has happened, does the performance of the capacitor deteriorate with extreme cold? (-3deg C overnight here)

Should it pack in all together before he gets here;

Is the capacitor easy to change and is it a particular type or could I pick one up at somewhere like b&q?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't replace the boiler unless it' leaking water, that's just an incompent service technician's approach. Check the value of the motor run capacitor. I bet it's less than 3uF, and it should be near 4uF. These boilers are ok, and spares are easily available.

The buzzing is the motor can't start because there's not enough torque from the capacitor.
This is the only way I can find to contact you - am actually a different member (spottidog) but have Camray 3 leaking water and need some sound advice on where to go from here. Old system but can't afford to replace entire system; can I replace boiler with later model (single pipe heating system) or can I contact someone re. spares for a repair? If you can help (and you seem very knowledgable judging by the scope and quantity of your responses to all types of queries in thsi system), could you e-mail me at [email protected]? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back