oil fired central heating - strange fault...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating is playing up, but it's a strange one...

hope someone can give some advice...

I have oil heating, where an oil tank feeds oil to a boiler, which in turn heats both the water and rediators in the house (it's a fairly modern system, and does these independently)

I have oil in the tank, the boiler does not need bled, and the water heating aspect of the system is working fine (for example, when I put the water heating to "boost" the boiler fires up and heats the water)

However, when the heating for the radiators comes on (when the light comes on in the control panel, either through the timer, or from hitting boost) the boiler does not fire up, and the radiators do not heat.

I've also checked the fuses, which are fine, so really cannot think what the problem is...

Anyone got any soloutions?

Also, for anyone who really knows their stuff - there is a temperature setting both on the boiler, and also one on the hot water tank in my airing cupboard - what temperature should these be set at - I've never been quite sure...

Thanks!

If you might be able to help, but have any questions, fire away, I'll be online for a while!

Sponsored Links
While you're sorting out the answer to wilhelm's question, the temperature settings are normally 60 deg on the tank (though 55 would d, but people say you'll get leigonaires' disease). The boiler temperature is set at 80 deg for winter and say 65 for summer, but it's a bit of a discussion point. You may need to have the boiler a bit lower than 80 if it make's a kettling sound as it gets hot.

Do I get the feeling this is a larger than normal house :rolleyes:

When you say control panel does that mean large box of tricks with control switches, red or green lights, time control, temperature compensation etc.

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
first

what system you got? two silver boxes in airing cupboard ?or one ?

Neither.

Just a insulated water tank in the airing cupboard, and a boiler in a small silver "house" outside the house.

oilman said:
While you're sorting out the answer to wilhelm's question, the temperature settings are normally 60 deg on the tank (though 55 would d, but people say you'll get leigonaires' disease). The boiler temperature is set at 80 deg for winter and say 65 for summer, but it's a bit of a discussion point. You may need to have the boiler a bit lower than 80 if it make's a kettling sound as it gets hot.

Thanks

doitall said:
Do I get the feeling this is a larger than normal house :rolleyes:

When you say control panel does that mean large box of tricks with control switches, red or green lights, time control, temperature compensation etc.

Not as all - house about 1600 sq ft.

When I say control panel, it's for want of a betterdescriptive prhase :D

It has two buttons, one for heating, one for water, pressing the buttons cycle that purpose through

Timed > Boost > Advance > Constant > Off

ok, the airing cupboard was a throw away comment. follow the pipe that comes out of top of boiler.....not the flue ... :eek:

and see if you run into a a silver/black/white box.
............... or similiar

check the location tyrone is in ireland and things are done differently you need to give more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back