oil flue extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old victorian house, built in 1892, which has had the old coal fire replaced by a harmony 2 oil boiler (before we moved in).
For some reason only one of the four chimney pots remains, and that last one is on a dead chimney. The plan is to reinstate all the chimney pots to make the house look right, but, the chimney that the oil boiler actually uses has no pot on top. There's just the brickwork on the roof ridge. There's just a 10 inch length, including the cowl, of the liner sticking up. To put a pot on there would need the flue to be extended by about 20 inches, including the new cowl, so that the cowl will be just above the replaced pot.
Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to extend the flue, or in fact, can it be done at all?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the existing flue terminal? i can't quite visualise what you are describing. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I have put 2 pics in the album labelled 'allassio's pics' in the photos section.
One of the pics shows the flat topped chimney, without pots, and showing the existing flue terminal, and the other pic shows the other chimney on the house, with pots replaced and cappers fitted because that chimney is dead.
What I am trying to find out, is how I can extend the flue, with a new cowl if neccesary, for the flue terminal to end higher than the pots that I intend to fit (same as the other chimney).
I know that the terminal cannot end inside the pot so an extension is the only answer.
Regards [/b]

You may be lucky in that there will be enough flue liner to pull
it up through the new chimney pot. The mounting the cowel on top.
Otherwise new liner required.

Sponsored Links
You may be lucky in that there will be enough flue liner to pull
it up through the new chimney pot. The mounting the cowel on top.
Otherwise new liner required.

If lucky you may also find "Flying Pigs".
Fooking dream on .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back