Oil on tarmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK we have all had the odd leak of oil from the car, but mine seems to have shed about 10 pints, it has soaked into the tarmac drive and her indoors is going mad. any suggestions on how to clean this mess, besides the obvious of relaying the whole drive.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry there isn't, what most people do is cut out a square section approx 1" deep with pea shingles or decorative shingles. If you have a run of oil patches then maybe shingles the whole middle section. You can then either clean the shingles with a degreaser or renew.

Tarmac running are a softer grade (200 pen) but road material don't get this problem as it's a harder grade (50 pen)

Tis a relay I'm afraid. Anything you use to dissolve the oil will also dissolve the tar. :eek:

Sponsored Links
gelcoat said:
OK we have all had the odd leak of oil from the car, but mine seems to have shed about 10 pints
So the car is leaking oil and you're vomiting 10 pints of lager :D

Have you tried Coca Cola. Apparently all California Highway Patrol vehicles carry a gallon of it in their boot to clear up any nasty mess at the scene of road accidents.

Very good at getting rid of blood stains on concrete as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back