Removing oil spills from tarmac driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a small but persistent oil leak from my car's sump plug which i've now sorted which has left a lot of small oil stains all over my tarmac driveway

Does anyone have any opinion of the best product for the job? Maybe one they've used recently? Ideally something I can buy locally e.g. screwfix/toolstation/etc

There's a LOT of products on the market but none of them really seem to have not that good reviews (average 3 or 3.5 stars from most things i've seen) e.g. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/c...xjk956SmZLOicZdynxnE1OBMDA1vPxQhoCazIQAvD_BwE

Or am I better off just abandoning any cleaning attempts and using a driveway sealer/paint type product?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would suspect whatever chemical that will break the oil down, will also ruin your tarmac, they are quite similar

Pressure wash it with soap and water, and it will probably fade away by the end of the year

Soap powder , soaks up the oil and disperses it . Small amounts can be dissolved with lighter fuel and absorbed with kitchen paper.

Soap powder , soaks up the oil and disperses it . Small amounts can be dissolved with lighter fuel and absorbed with kitchen paper.

I've just rememberd i've got most of a box of cheap washing powder I used for cleaning a soiled mattress actually (don't ask), so I might as well give that a go, thanks for reminded me!

Sponsored Links
oil and tarmac need the same solvents to remove, I also suggest soap powder or clay cat litter (kept dry if possible, so dont try on a rainy day)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back