turning off w.c. light, resets ceiling fan!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Got a bit of an issue! Yesterday I fitted a new light fitting in my downstairs cloakroom. All fitted OK, works fine but noticed last night when I turn it off (turning it on causes no issues) it resets the light/ceiling fan unit in the living room!

The ceiling fan+light when first switched on at the wall just illuminates, and the fan is static. Once the power is supplied by using the standard wall fitted light switch All controls are by a ir remote e.g. light on/off, dimmer, fan speeds and off!

So last night I had the wall switch on, put the fan on slow with the remote, and turned the light off with the remote, so just have the fan spinning slowly. Then turned the toilet light on, with no change to the fan, but when turning the toilet light off the fan stopped and the light came on which is the default start status. Out of curiosity I also tried fan and light off, but wall switch still on, ( so in a standby like mode) and this also made the fan light come on when turning the toilet light off!

Here are they links to the items fitted.

Ceiling fan:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...898345|rnd:10196476551148741455|dvc:t|adp:1o2

Light: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40173942

Thanks

Fraz

Sponsored Links
Well, if all was OK until you changed the light in the WC then you must have done something wrong when you wired it up. So that's where I would look.

Ikea lights only have a live, neutral and (somethimes) an earth.
How did you connect this to the existing wiring?

What did it look like?
Did you look at the WIKI to see if any of the wiring diagrams will help?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

Take a photo and post it on here if you are still stuck? We like photos.

Turning off a florescent lamp can produce voltage spikes it would seem the spike is upsetting the fan electronics.

All items should have a EMC test both as to how much they produce interference and how much interference they will reject. Using filters like used for PC supplies may cure it but I think I would be looking at LED rather than florescent lamp.

As to which item is faulty it's hard to say. I had same problem with Mother with an induction hob as her pace maker was not compliant with current regulations. Swapped the hob for a halogen one then my Mother went to get pace maker changed so now could use an induction one.

They may well both be non-compliant from an EMC point of view, as the requirements relate to both interfering signals produced and also to susceptibility to such signals.

Fixing the problem is another matter. It is a choice between taking both items back, and inserting some kind of filter/surge arrestor in-between.

As a matter of interest I bought one of the first electronic time switches and had in controlling a lamp in the room next to the kitchen. On turning off the florescent under cupboard lighting in the kitchen, it caused the time switch literally to explode.

I was given a replacement by the manufacturer, and foolishly (I was younger then) repeated the experiment, only to have the second time switch explode.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks lads,

Well IAW The Wiki I have a "looped at the switch" set-up. So only have a single twin and earth coming out of the ceiling. As you say the IKEA lights only have the 3 connections ( This has an earth), and I have connected all 3 correctly. The light functions as it should, its just the interference its causing with this pcb controlled fan, so I don't see how it can be down to installation.

So were probably looking at filters then. Is it just a case of getting the specs from the the manufacturers, and installing filters on the back of these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back