Oil or varnish to seal a pine table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just sanded down a pine table top - the old laquer had become patchy and tacky so it seemed the best way to make a new start!

Now I've got the surface - although still need to get a finer/smoother finish... what's the best way to go to seal. A friend suggested I mix some polyurethane with white spirits to seal it before waxing.... another said to use linseed oil. So not sure what the best way to go is....

I'd be grateful for any advice... it's our main dining table - and in the living area - so getting to a finished state quickly would be grand. I expect it's going to take a battering as we have a toddler -so I dont want to be too worried about keeping it pristine and dont want to spend too long on maintaining it - but happy to do a quick refurb in the future. Generally speaking I prefer an aged look.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
a quick fix is as your friend mentioned - polyurethane varnish thinned with white spirit - flood it on the top and mop off ALL the surplus with kitchen towel until there is no residue of varnish visible when looking along the top against the light. THis will give you a thin sealing coatto the wood. Use gloss varnish (it won't finish gloss because you're thinning and wiping off)

and ensure its oil based product ie look at the tin to see what you wash brushes out in - oil based = wash in white spirt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back