Refurbishing Pine Farmhouse Table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pine farmhouse table that is currently painted all white, and I'm wanting to refurbish this by sanding the table top down to expose the bare wood and grain etc. I'm also wanting to make sure it's protected against heat from plates and dishes and the odd spill of water or wine, whilst also having a soft sheen/lustre and highlighting the grain. The problem is I've become a bit lost amongst the many choices of finishes.

So far I've tested two samples of Fiddes Hard Wax Oil on a piece of scrap wood, but I've also been looking at Colron Refined Wood Dye, that from what I've learnt would need to be protected with a clear lacquer and Colron Refined Danish Oil.

I wondered which of these three would be best suited to what I'm looking to achieve, or if anyone had any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Simon

Sponsored Links
Osmo do a range of oils that are long lasting, but whatever you use care of the top is what is needed to prevent damage, hot item need placemats and drink spill need removing immediately, no surface is impervious to neglect.

I used Fiddes wax polish on a pine kitchen table. It looked great at first, but became impossible to keep clean and unstained, so in the end I sanded it all off and finished the table with this:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=032035

It does depend on the wood though. Mine was a modern soft pine table, but a friend has a proper old pine table with much harder wood, that keeps a good finish with a bit of polish.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back