Danish Oil on Banister Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded down what looks like a pitch pine banister and i was thinking about using some Danish oil as protection and also in order to stain it a little darker. I want a traditional Georgian/Victorian dark rail and white spindles.

Previously i have used colron [url]http://www.colronrefined.co.uk/ [/url] natural Danish oil on an Oak Railway sleeper and it has turned out fantastic, really brought the grain out and left a nice sheen to the finish.

So I had decide to use the same brand of oil, but with a mahogany colour in it on the banister. This was also due to the fact that it was going to hide some of the bits that i haven't been able to sand back to the bare wood.

I have applied three coats to the rosettes (not sure if that is the correct name but the decorative circular piece that connects the banister rail to the wall, top and bottom of the stairs) and it has come out darker than expected (that's my own fault,) but they don't appear to have any sort of sheen to it.

Would anybody be able to recommend a wax that could be applied over the top of the Danish Oil to provide a sheen, or am i stuck with the finish that i have got?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Got to agree osmo are the bees when it comes to finishes. They do a poly wax oil all in one gives a great finish.

Check them out here: http://www.osmouk.com/osmopolyx.cfm?chapter=29

Or they do a liquid clear wax that goes on fast and finishes well. One of the few clear waxes that don't affect the final colour to any great extent.

I just cant fault any of there products you really do get what u pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back