finishing pine table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have sanded down a previously painted old pine table top to bare wood. I want to use this as a dining table for everyday use. I want to have a table that I will be able to put cups of tea, glass of wine and dinner plates on without it spoiling the surface. So somewhat heat protectetion and waterproof.

I was thinking I'd like Danish Oil as I like the light natural finish. Would this be fit for the purpose I want? Or do I need some other type of protective finish?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I oiled mine and its been good so far. I actually quite like the 'lived in' look for pine. A bit of use and bit of topping up the oil and the table looks really nice, not like its just come for Ikea, but like a quality old piece of furniture. Mine hasn't picked up an significant marks or rings but it does have a few small dents. Any marks could be sanded out, though.

An oil will be 'ok', but not as protective as a varnish.

I haven't tried oil on pine (oil is usually better on hardwood, I thought). I did wax a pine table top, but after having to remove the stained surface after a couple of years with a belt sander, I re-finished it with Ronseal Mattcoat polyeurethane varnish (my varnish of choice for almost everything, including floors). It still looks natural, being matt, but is now wipe-clean. If your life includes red wine and/or Indian food in any quantity, I'd highly recommend this approach. A couple of coats, flat between coats.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Since I've got some danish oil I'm going to trial that on a spare bit of pine and then see how well it stands up.

One thing I'm not sure of. If I put a couple of coats of danish oil on, can I then put a coat of varnish on top to finish?

Other thing is, I've seen Liberon Worktop finish and seal advertised which says it is waterproof and heatproof. Would this be an option to consider?

Thanks again

One thing I'm not sure of. If I put a couple of coats of danish oil on, can I then put a coat of varnish on top to finish?

No, you can't varnish or paint on top of oil or wax.

Cheers
Richard

You can paint on top of Danish oil with oil based paints.Not on wax though.

I'm getting second thoughts now about the danish oil.
But if I do do the danish oil and then it gets spoiled then what are my options for redoing it and putting a varathane type coating on it? I don't want it repainted.

Ive got to a lot of trouble to get the ancient paint and crap off the table so don't want to muck it up now. The varnish type route does seem more foolproof.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back