Antique pine (?) table refinishing help - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently acquired a table to go in the kitchen and perform general family duties. Its lovely (IMHO) being an old one full of character and with the top made from just 2 really wide planks with a thin one joining them together - I think its pine, but am not very good at identifying old woods!
Anyway, at some point in the past it looks like the table top has been stripped - it feels dry and unfinished. Consequently it is rather 'light' in colour compared to the rest of the table, whilst also being unprotected.
I want to apply some sort of finish to the table top to a) protect it from the rigours of daily family life with small kids and b) darken down the colour to better match the apron and legs. Whatever finish I give it needs to able to cope with fairly high traffic, hot serving dishes, splashed drinks, careless children etc.
What would be the best way of achieving this?
I had thought of giving it a quick, light sanding before a couple of coats of Danish Oil, another rub over with fine sandpaper, followed by a coat of dark beeswax polish.... what do you think?
Here is what it looks like....

Sponsored Links
You can get danish oil ready mixed with wood dye, or you can mix yourself, saves effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back