Restoring a knotty pine table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of a disaster. We have an old 70's knotty pine dining table that has quite a bit of sentimental value. The varnish was old and chipped, so I sanded it down and applied some Ronseal brush wax. The wax has caused some of the fibres to expand making the finish quite rough in places. The wax is also a bit too orangey to tone in with the side board.

So my questions are:

What should I have done / can I do to improve the finish?

Is there any way I can alter the colour of the table to tone in with the sideboard?

I've been at this for 2 days now and I'm at the end of my tether. I would appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer.

Regards Pete

Sponsored Links
is it a flat pine table with a square edge and no moulding
if it is you can unscrew the top flip it over and start again
and what you descibe is called "raising the grain"that happens when you use water based products or just plane old water
you should have wiped down with a damp cloth then re-sanded when dry

brushing wax is usless in my opinion but do not fret as you can just use wax remover which will work quite effectivly because the wax is so recent.

If the wax had a stain in it though it will not come out as its removes so you will need to re-sand it . sorry :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back