Knotty Pine doors - Urgent Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning.

I have a large hallway in my bungalow with 7 doors off it. 5 of the doors have 4 panel knotty pine doors which are heavily patterned with knots and wavy "zebra" type lines. The other two don't match and have been given one of those awful paint effect jobs which look like they have had coffee grounds rubbed onto them with a wet cloth !!

So I am replacing them. A friend dropped of two B&Q Elverden knotty pine jobbies yesterday. Thre are literally two or three visible darker knots towards the bottom of the doors. The rest look almost unpattterned and more like the "clear" ones they sell.

My question is, when they have a satin varnish or wax put on them will that bring up the wavy lines ? I realise it won't add knots. I'm in a tiz as I'm afraid I am going to hang them and hate them as they won't match ! :(

Sponsored Links
you will only see what you see now only slightly darker
you may get a slighty improved contrast in the growth rings but not to much

Also, them doors are sh!t, i've 4 of them fitted in my house and all are badly warped. Thankfully I got them on offer at about £13 each but still......

Also, them doors are ****, i've 4 of them fitted in my house and all are badly warped. Thankfully I got them on offer at about £13 each but still......

Blimey, I paid over £60 for both with smaller one being more expensive than the 30". I think they'll be going back, lots of hassle. Hey Ho !

Sponsored Links
I wish I had just bought moulded doors to be honest.

I've got a few of the same range doors downstairs but with glass in the top section that have not warped, very strange indeed.

Also, them doors are ****, i've 4 of them fitted in my house and all are badly warped. Thankfully I got them on offer at about £13 each but still......

clever marketing
they take fairly worthless timber that cant be used for quality work because off the knots make it into doors and sell it as a feature knowing full well they will move with time also knowing that only a person doing a diy fit would touch them with a barge pole

also knowing the same person would assume they where wrongly treated and blame them selves for the movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back