Stripped pine beams - stripper residue, lead & finishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started stripping my beams with Nitromors Superstrip and ended up using Klingstrip as it was quicker. Both leave residue and it seems I can go on forever removing any colouration. They recommend water then either meths or vinegar. Just wondered if there was an easier way. It's in a furnished lounge so I cant just go mad with a scrubbing brush and buckets of water!

Also I suspect the previous paint finish was lead. Is there likely to be any lead contamination on the surface even after stripping? I'm concerned about the safety of sanding.

The other thing is the finish. I tried a test area with antique pine Colron Danish Oil but it adds too much colour. I suppose I could go for the natural. Or what about tung oil or wax? I just want a light/satin sheen, a SLIGHTLY richer colour and protection for the wood (it can get very warm up near the ceiling!)
Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back