oil or wax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a walnut veneered mdf bathroom vanity unit. Obviously I want it to be well protected from water/soap/toothpaste etc. Can anyone recommend a treatment? I've investigated tung oil and Osmo Wood Wax Finish. They both seem suitable, but I'm favouring the Wood Wax as it seems a lot easier/quicker to use. Any advise would be very welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
for what it's worth, i'll start your thread off.... i don't think toothpaste or soap are your enemy. And most things won't cope with constant soaking, or immersion in water... but if it's the odd splassh off water, or regular bathroom condensation, i'd say use either. BUT don't choose on the basis of being easier to use.... like most things, shortcuts lead to lack of performance. Buy a product and put the effort in to make it work.

Apologies if that sounded like a bit of a rant - not intended to be. I've just been advised to put 30 coats of tung oil on a relatively cheap outdoor table !!

Did you use MR (moisture resistant) MDF ?

Have you 100% sealed all the edges including the ones that you don’t or can’t see?

The finish you want is a water proof one Yes?

Thanks to you both.

Didn't sound like a rant - I get ya!

I didn't use MR MDF, no. The idea was/is that it will be sealed well enough not to be necessary. Hopefully this won't be a problem now. As imamartian suggested, it won't be immersed in water and will only have the odd splash of water, and the bathroom is well ventilated. It needs to be water resistant I guess and not water proof.

I've just been checking out hard wax oil and it seems that that would seal it.

What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
Being a professional cabinet maker who designs and makes bespoke bathrooms etc

I repeat the finish you want is a water proof one Yes?

What about the steam and condensation that is at the rear of cupboards etc hangs about for a long time even with good ventilation.

Solid%20oak%20free%20standing%20vanity%20unit%203.jpg

Solid%20oak%20free%20standing%20vanity%20unit%202.jpg

oak%20bathroom%20(1).jpg

oak%20bathroom%20(3).jpg

oak%20bathroom%20(4).jpg

I repeat the finish you want is a water proof one Yes?

Are you asking a question or making a statement?

I'm thinking that if the whole thing is treated with hardwax oil (the back/seams- everything) and siliconed where it meets the wall it will be waterproof for all intents and purposes.

Really what I'm asking is 'do I want it to be completely waterproof?' So you asking the same question doesn't really help.

Ok, thanks. Please don't think I'm being pedantic - but I don't understand..."Wax is not waterproof ask"

Oh, ok. Sorry about that

Nice cabinets by the way - meant to say earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back