Oil stain on wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the refurbishment of my house a sitting room wall was chased and a pair of 15mm copper heating pipes were buried in the wall.
The well meaning plumber (me) protected the copper pipes by wrapping them in greasy Denso tape. The pipes were then cemented in and plastered over. Two years later there is a greasy patchy line showing through the wall paper, which kinda spoils the room.

Can I remove a strip of paper and seal the wall with something like 10% PVA in water or an oil based paint, or does it all need to come out which is a much bigger job?

Any advice appreciated - Not so Able.

Sponsored Links
PVA raises it ugly head again.....

If it is grease then a water based solution probably wont work as it will not adhere to the greasy surface....if you put a iol based product over it then it may bleed through

Id go for either knotting...(white knotting as opposed to brown) or Zinser sealer which is also based on shellac (the brown part of knotting)

Thats if you can get a strip of paper off neatly

Have to considered maching the colour of the paper with an emulsion and strippling it onto the paper to blend it in?....

the denso tape you used need not have been used indoors.its mainly for outside use against freezing.if you stainblock with gloss this will stop the problem.i have used this method before.hope it works out

Sponsored Links
bobski said:
the denso tape you used need not have been used indoors.its mainly for outside use against freezing.if you stainblock with gloss this will stop the problem.i have used this method before.hope it works out

Yep...stain block may also work...but hold the gloss..it may be difficult for the paper to stick back to it without scoring it...substitute it for undercoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back