To Paper or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just after gathering some thoughts and opinions here, as I'm not sure what's best going forward...

Soon to be moving into a 1965 semi detached which needs a full refurbishment top to bottom (previous owner an elderly widow who hadn't spend any money on the property in 30 years).

We have stripped all the old wallpaper off the walls and the plaster is mostly sound in most of the rooms. Looks like the original plaster which has never been painted and largely, has come up really well after stripping the paper off.

My dilemma is we are not sure whether to paint onto the plaster (after a clean and a mist coat of course) or lining paper the walls then paint?

I feel like the rooms would be slightly better insulated if they all have lining paper on, but then the walls possibly won't look as 'clean' with the join lines of the paper.

One thought that is leading me down the path of lining paper is that the house is going to be having a full refurbishment - electrics haven't been touched since the 60s and some rooms have no sockets in, no earth on lighting circuit etc so all the walls will have to be chased.
The sparks will make good the walls after chasing but I don't see how it's not going to show through the paint - their making good won't be that perfect will it?

What would you ladies and gents do if it were your future, 'forever' home?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
We lived in sixties bungalow before we moved a couple of years ago. The walls were terrible but lining them and then papering made them okay. More work obviously but lining paper hides a multitude of previous sins. I tend to use wallpaper that doesn't need to be matched mainly because I cannot be bothered to match drops but matching up paper isn't that hard but is a bit more work. If the paper is hung properly then seams should not be noticable.

You can buy a 2000 grade double roll of lining paper from Toolstation for about £7. If done properly it will look like a plastered wall.
Are you doing the work yourselves or getting professionals in? If you're getting a decorator in you hopefully won't see any joins.
If doing it yourself and you have some slight gaps you can powder fill them and gently sand them flush. Then brush on some acrylic primer/undercoat on the filler. Once dry it's ready for your emulsion.

If you can avoid lining paper, avoid it.

It's just a nuisance, if you don't actually need it.

But yes, very beneficial if the electrical chase repair work isn't spot on.

Sponsored Links
How are you going to make good over chasework if it has lining paper on it ??
Doesn't sound very practicable to me, better left as bare plaster then at least it will be easy to make good with a level finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back