Wallpapering - lining paper then paint - good way to go?

k4p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I plan to wall paper a room. Most other rooms have been plastered and then painted.

The walls aren't perfectly smooth.

I plan to use lining paper and then paint - hopefully to get a nice finish...similar to plaster and paint (i know it won't be as good as a plaster paint finish).

Any advice?
e.g. type of paper (grade)

Sponsored Links
When I've done it in the past, I've cross lined with 1000 gauge lining paper, which was then lightly sanded down to remove any grit missed when stripping the walls; and then hung fine lining paper vertically as normal. This provided a pretty good surface for emulsioning over.

My advice would be to sand down the walls by hand using wet and dry sand paper nd a bucket of water, then take time to fill all the cracks and holes in the wall using pollyfilla, when dry sand down all ur filling and skim over it again and then sand down the walls once more using normal sand paper. Now you can cross line the walls (horizontal) using 1000 grade lining paper.

This may take alot of time but preparation is 90% of decoration and this will give u the nearest thing to a plaster finish.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure it will end up being less work than sorting the walls :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back