Oil Tank piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to install my own Oil boiler, tank (tank is sited at least) and oil pipework (have been planning it since last year but things got in the way).
Water piping and rads are all in, just ready to hook up to the boiler.

I have a number of questions, I see a lot of topics regarding regulations but none covering actual details and I have the installation guide for the boiler which is thoroughly detailed but my location/ circumstances are a little different, so here goes: (be nice)

1. I have seen some boiler installation guides advocate a heating element (Ie: floor heating type electrical cable to protect the pipes against freezing during extreme temperatures). (I live in Estonia which can on occasion hit minus 30deg.) I would do this to make sure I have oil in the most extreme circumstances when heating is actually needed most. Any advice against?

2. Also I have seen in one installation guide a loop made in the feed pipe before it enters the property. To avoid any condensation from the piework entering with the oil supply - seems odd and ugly to me - is it necessary? The supply/return pipes from my tank will be from the top of the tank.

3. Suggestions are to bury the pipe below frost level some 450mm - if this is not possible, I planned to install the pipework some 200mm deep, sheathed in pvc 110mm piping and with foam insulation to the pipes (and perhaps the heating cable). Any opinions on whether this is acceptable?

4. Fire cut off valve should be installed externally to the house, (on the house wall? Then perhaps a steel box on the outside is good to protect it also and hide where the piping enters the property?

5. Flow pipe should slope toward the boiler?

6. There is no drain cock on the oil tank (it is 1500 litres, plastic and sits in a open steel tank - Estonia's idea of 'bunded'). I read that water can condensate in the tanks and therefore it is a good idea, although for getting rid of the sludge also. Impossible to fit one, and it doesn't have one - good or bad? The tank is protected in an 'outhouse' which is insulated etc etc, so perhaps this will help against condensation?

And that's all for now I think. Appreciate the comments.

Appreciate a reply from Oilman if he is out there also.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back