Oil tank query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently arranged for an oil delivery but on arrival the driver started to examine my tank (never had one do this before) and state that he couldn't give me the oil because the lower edge of one side of the tank is obscured by soil (it's near an embankment so soil has washed down over the years). Apparently his company's new policy is that all sides of the tank must be 100% visible.

I could understand this if the whole side was obscured, but a few inches on one side seems a bit over zealous. The tank has been like this for well over fifteen years and no other oil delivery driver has batted an eyelid.

I'll dig the soil away from that side of the tank now but has anyone come across such a rule before?

Sponsored Links
Have you contacted his company direct to see if this is a new policy the driver is simply implementing or if he has misinterpreted company policy?

Which company?

No I haven't, but I've cancelled the order with them now and ordered with another supplier (the one that I usually use and have had no problems with for many years), I only ordered with the other company because their oil was ever so slightly cheaper.

Your plastic tank should be on a solid base with a border all round. If the driver cannot see all the tank but delivers into a leaking tank, then he would be liable for any environmental pollution. These days, you can't blame him for refusing.

Sponsored Links
I see, thanks. That makes sense.

Anyhow, I've just spent a few hours clearing around it and now all sides of the main cylinder are visible. In one patch I've even located the concrete base that it's sitting on.

Do the eight 'feet' need to be fully visible all the way down to the concrete base or just the cylinder which holds the oil? I'm guessing just the cylinder.

Thanks, that's really surprising. I'll make sure they are completely clear too then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back