Slight smell of oil from oil tank (upper front right quadrant)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another oil tank query ...... I sometimes notice a slight smell of oil from my oil tank (it holds the usual domestic heating oil), generally speaking it's this kind of design:

https://www.tanksforeverything.co.uk/harlequin-1400hz-769-p

Mine has around a 1500 litre capacity I think.

I've been over it with a fine tooth comb (in order words my nose) and have located the source of the smell around the upper right front area towards the edge. However:

a) The tank is less than quarter full so there's no oil anywhere near that upper portion of the tank (and the tank is never filled that high anyway).

b) If I run my hand over that area there's no smell of oil on my hand (I had assumed there may have been a slight spillage of oil onto that area from my last delivery a few months ago).

c) I've sniffed the lower area around and below the tank and there is no smell of oil there

d) There is no smell of oil around the Tankmaster oil level display tube

e) There is no smell of oil around the area where it's filled or around what I assume is some kind of vent cap (???) to the right of it

f) There is no smell of oil around the float bowl, plunger that you pull out to check the oil level, the outlet, the pipe, etc. There's no smell of oil elsewhere or in the house.

g) The oil level isn't going down any faster than usual

I was wondering if there is perhaps a pinprick hole in that area but can't see one (and I've cleaned that area of the tank to check), and even if there was one then rain would of course get in and cause firing issues with the boiler (and there are no such issues).

In short, there are no signs whatsoever of a leak, just the smell.

Any ideas please of what I might be missing?

I've been doing a bit of searching online and see that some other people notice oil smells from their tanks yet with no actual leak present.

Sponsored Links
If the tank is outside, (I presume it is), and you are not using any more oil than usual, the boiler is working correctly etc then why worry?

Tanks breathe, and you never know how natural air currents carry the smell. If you cannot find a leak, then I would not worry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back