smell of oil after moving boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had boiler moved and new oil pipe connected yesterday. My boiler sits in the back room of the house which is like a workroom with a concrete floor. On changing the oil pipe some oil leaked onto the concrete floor and has been absorbed by same. This room has no ventilation (yet to get round to this) and there is a very strong smell of oil in that room. I suspect it is giving me a headache if i stay in their too long. The smell is very faint in the connecting rooms (doors closed to these)

There appears to be no leaks from anywhere - all connections dry and no visible signs of oil on floor etc. Boiler has been of since yesterday evening.

Would you expect that smell to have emerged from the oil having soaked into the concrete and how long do you think it will last? Any substance I can lay/apply to the stained area where it has soaked into the concrete to try and counter the smell somewhat.

I intend to leave open the door to the outside for as much as I can to ventilate today and further if necessary (weather depending). Would love to clear this smell ASAP and ensure I avoid any potential health problems

Much thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's kerosene, it dries fairly quickly but will depend on the porosity of your floor and the size of the spill.

Try using a fan heater to dry it out and put a couple of onions, sliced in half, near the oil spill to counteract the smell.

Regards

spraggo

The concrete floor has absorbed it already and it looks dry now - just the smell to counteract which disappears completely with the door open and returns again once I shut it.

Will try those onions - anything to get rid of this smell (cant leave the door open all night unfortunately. Ta guys

Sponsored Links
Get a pile of Dog sh$t and put it near the spillage.

After 10 minutes you will be glad to smell the Kerosine. :LOL:

Could be oily flue gases?

What type of flue does the boiler have?

Conventional/Low level open/Low level balanced flue (room sealed)?

Is there a need for combustion air vent into the room and is it there?

If it's just the spilt oil then it will evaporate away quite quickly.

Get a pile of Dog sh$t and put it near the spillage.

After 10 minutes you will be glad to smell the Kerosine. :LOL:

Very amusing but I will stick with the onions for now :D .....however not that I can state with any accuracy through a lack of inexperience with dog muck, however I suspect not even that would give me a headache! With a lack of ventilation in the room there is nothing much more i can do than disguise the smell with other smells until it eventually disappears.

I love the smell of garages/oil/solvents etc or at least i thought i did until it is under my nose 24/7 - now not so keen :(

This is a major problem in France where many building are heated by mazout or heavy oil. The fuel suppliers offer the option of a deodorising package to be added on delivery, this is just a heavy fruity perfume concentrate, which masks the smell. If it was kerosene or paraffin you're lucky because it will evaporate fast but anything heavier will take many months. Heating it will help to drive off the volatiles.

Could be oily flue gases?

What type of flue does the boiler have?

Conventional/Low level open/Low level balanced flue (room sealed)?

Is there a need for combustion air vent into the room and is it there?

If it's just the spilt oil then it will evaporate away quite quickly.

Thanks for alternative ideas. I am not 1005 sure of the type of flue, however I am reasonably sure it is a low level balanced flue. The boiler is a Grant indoor condensing oil boiler - Euroflame 50/70. I do not know if there is a need for a combustion air vent or what it is or if its there or not. It has been in place 3 years with no smells or problems and has been serviced before. No one has highlighted or pointed out any faults with installation. The smell has only originated since the changing of the oil pipe/moving the tank, hence hopefully it is only from the spill. As i said earlier the smell disappears after about 20 mins when I leave the door to outside open (only 3 feet from the boiler and spill area)

The oil itself did evaporate away quickly but the strong smell remains - hence original question could it be coming from anything else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back