Boiler oil fuel leak and getting rid of the stink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few hours ago my oil fired boiler developed a leak on the inlet hose where it connects to the pump - I've now stopped the leak by turning off the oil supply but of course some oil has leaked into the concrete floor.

At a GUESS and based on the rate at which it was dripping (about 1 drip every two seconds for maybe a couple of hours) I should think that about a couple of cup fulls of oil have leaked. Not a huge amount but enough to create a hell of a stink, but despite leaving the door open for a few hours the smell isn't abating at all. I can at least close the inner door of the room (which has a door which opens to the outside) so that the smell doesn't permeate through to the rest of the house.

Naturally some has gone right underneath the boiler so I'm hoping that when my boiler repair guy arrives in the next couple of hours he'll be able to get to the majority of the oil and mop it up, but I'd really like to know the best way to get rid of the stink.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Bag of cat litter. The cheap economy type.
Tip the entire bag on the floor and leave it there for several hours, the oil will be absorbed into it.
Can then be swept up and disposed of.

Thanks, the problem is that most of the oil (admittedly not much) is right underneath the boiler so I can't get to it.

Sponsored Links
That cat litter would make an excellent bonfire fire-lighter afterwards. You can buy a "Cherry Bomb" Air Freshener that can mask the oil smell. TBH the oil will evaporate over a few days if you can put up with it. If not some news paper or cat litter but be careful what you do with it afterwards. Do not let any oil residues get washed into either a storm drain or sewer drain. Ideally burn it [safely].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back