Smell of fuel oil at boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This Worcester/Bosch Heat-slave combi is 14 years old and has been serviced every year without fail.

In January it developed a smell of unburnt oil, not a strong smell but enough to make the Utility room smell. It was worse first thing in the morning and went away when used for an hour or so.

We bought its annual service forward a couple of months and got the Service engineer to investigate. He gave it a full service but could find no evidence of any leak or any history marks or stains. Apart from the normal fitting of a new spray nozzle, he also fitted a long-life oil hose and a new auto air vent in an effort to stop any minor escape. The smell went for a few days and then returned.

The engineer came back and again went through everything in detail in the boiler, the fuel tank and all the pipes, but again no clues. He fitted a new fuel pump in the hopes the old one may have developed a problem in the solenoid cutting off the fuel and also a new seal around the baffle cover “just in case”. Again fine for a few days and then the smell came back.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Leaky areas on these....
The on / off tap for the kero on the top of the burner box
The flexy pipe from tap to the pump
The pressure adjustment screw on the pump front face
The seal between pump and the motor.
The pong couldn't be residual fuel having run underneath the boiler, could it?
John :)

Isolating valve on bulkhead fitting through burner box. Hose and pump have been changed.
Replacement is vastly overpriced. When servicing, I will isolate the oil anywhere but this tap.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's oil smell or could it be flue gas/exhaust smells?

Do you have an externally vented tumble drier in the room or an extract fan?

I can't remember the details of the flue on this boiler (...retired 10 years ago) ie whether it is room sealed or not, but if open flued the boiler will allow flue gases to be sucked back in through the flue by an extract fan or tumble drier - hence the possible oily flue smells. Just a thought.

If you could post a series of photos of the boiler and the flue someone could possibly see something as a clue.

Are you sure that you are not just being oversensitive?

What harm does the smell do for you?

Tony

How tight are the nuts on the combustion chamber door? Only a service operative can check also the tightness of the flue?

How tight are the nuts on the combustion chamber door? Only a service operative can check also the tightness of the flue?

If you're worried called out the boiler manufacturer service team to check it over, explain the smell and don't be satisfied till you get a positive answer. This does cost money, but you get what you pay for

Ignore those who say you are making it up, I'm my experience, it's its not made up

Many thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Given me plenty to think about and look at and food for thought for the engineer next time he comes.

One or two comments

It is definitely a fuel oil smell and not exhaust smell.

And yes it is for real. We know only too well the smell. Last time it was a leak under the house that cost the Insurers £20k to fix. So we may be a little paranoid but not to that extent!

Thanks again

Ricky

[quote="Burnerman";p="3319886"

The pong couldn't be residual fuel having run underneath the boiler, could it?
John :)[/quote]

John I think you are right

As time goes by it definitely seems to diminish. Even the boss is not mentioning it that much now

Many thanks

Ricky

Get a new inspection cover fitted to the top where the baffles come out.

These warp after years and allow fumes to escape when boiler not in use especially during the night

I'll bet the oil pump has a slight leak on the shaft seal which is leaking into the burner motor unseen - but high in smell! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back