Grant Oil boiler smells of oil and no hot water unless heating on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently needed a new oil tank after a crack was spotted in my single skinned tank which I have just had replaced.

Whilst I was waiting for my new tank to be fitted I ran out of oil and I had the reset light come on. This was pressed a couple of times after the new tank was fitted but still wouldn’t fire up.

My neighbour who luckily is a heating engineer came in and bled the fuel through to the boiler however I now only have got water when the heating is on (literally get it for about 20 Seconds without it and there is also a very strong smell of oil as well.

Could the no hot water be connected to the oil smell? Or is it likely to need a new diverter valve and something else (to
Sort the oil smell)?

My neighbour is away for a few days otherwise I would obviously ask him to come and look.

Sponsored Links
Very much doubt the smell of kero is related to no hot water.
Look closely round oil pump and pipe supplying it.
It's just possible bleed screw on pump is not tight.
If you can't identify leak I strongly recommend you turn of oil there should be a small valve near boiler. If not turn off at tank.
Which model Grant? If its a combi the later ones (vortex range ) use 2 pumps rather than a diverter.

Thanks for replying. It’s a combo 90 v3

Sponsored Links
Apparently there is a leak in the diaphragm and I need a new switch. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back