Oil tank not quite empty, but no oil getting to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler stopped yesterday, Must be out of oil I thought.

had a look in the tank and there is about 5 to 6 inches of oil in the bottom. However no oil is getting to the boiler?

Could it be the pipe that comes out of the tank is higher than the level of the oil, or is it normal to have this much oil left in the tank when it runs out?

As an unrelated matter, I bought 900 litres of oil 3 months ago. This would normally last me 6 to 9 months (never have the heat on) so I think somethings up. There was a slight drip from the pipe where it meets the tank a few weeks ago, I tightned the nut holding the pipe to the tank and that seemed to stop the leak. Not much oil could have leaked, as bar a damp patch on the pavers under the connection, everything was dry, the grass round the tank was dry, no evidence of a big leak.

I have no padlock on the tank, but to get to the tank you need to go through a locked gate so Im guessing no one has stolen my oil. (unless they climbed the gate, which on hindsight wouldnt be too hard.....)

Sponsored Links
Blocked filter, or possibly leaking pipe if it goes underground.

Otherwise oil could have been stolen.

I take it then the tank should be completely empty before the boiler stops?

The pipe is completely above ground, it goes straight from the oil tank, into an outbuilding and runs along the floor (against the wall) to the boiler.

At the most its about 3 metres long. No leaks except where mentioned at the connection with the tank.

Could a blocked filter cause the boiler to run less efficiently and use more oil?

Remove the filter bowl and check for gunge and also frozen water which will stop the oil supply!

A blocked filter will not increase oil consumption!

A badly adjusted burner will!

Has it been serviced recently?

Is the botton of the tank higher than the burner?

Sponsored Links
No a blocked filter would cause it to not work.

What can happen when you get low is you suck up all the crud in the bottom of the tank, depends whe it was last cleaned out

I would say the tank is more or less level with the boiler, maybe a bit higher, few inches at most.

Tank has never been cleaned out in all the time we have lived in the house (just over three years) and I get the impression the previous owners wouldnt have bothered.

Boiler has never been serviced since we have been there, its fairly new but yea I know it should have been done once a year :oops:

Ill have a look at the filter tonight when I get home.

Is it expensive to have the tank cleaned out? or is it something you can do yourself?

If its plastic then it should not need it!

If metal see what comes out of sludge cock at low end of tank!

If filter is clean then dont worry!! ;)

Thanks for all the replies, as you can tell im not exactly a CH expert.....

Will check the pipe again for leaks tonight, fit a padlock to the tank, check the filter and that should all give me a clean sheet for when the oil is delivered tomorrow.

Oh and yes it is a plastic tank, standard rectangular sort of thing. (highly technical description there)

how do you know that oil is not getting to the burner?

I dont.

And I dont have to explain to you why, I reckon it is that.

I dont.

And I dont have to explain to you why, I reckon it is that.

You are not the centre of the universe, I was asking the OP.

I wouldn't listen to anything you say anyway.

ah ,I made the fatal mistake of following chronological order, so perhaps if you made it a bit clearer, then this terrible mistake could have been averted.
My humble apologies.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It could also be averted if you didn't jump in with both feet, up to your neck, by checking the depth first. However, I will probably catch you out again. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back