Oil VS LPG Central Heating

Also worth consideing the access to your property, oil tankers can struggle to get down little lanes at times, bottle's of LPG can be carried. I think most oil companies around here carry a 30 metre hose to fill up, so depending where you site the tank this may, or may not be an issue.

Sam

Sponsored Links
If it has to be a wet system, I would use the HRM Wallstar oil boiler. They are tolerant of neglected servicing, mounted through the wall, so dont take up floor space so oil is all outside. For cooking gas may be ok for some people, but it is VERY inefficient. Are you going to offer fitted kitchens with appliances? If so I would look at induction hobs, as they are the most efficient and safest, all the user has to do is use steel or cast iron pans.

Though there are regulations for siting oil tanks, they can be varied by the BC, something not available for LPG. Oil tanks can be built any shape you want in steel. Once they are painted they need be no uglier than plastic, they have a longer life, and they don't fail catastrophically. You will find a minority of oil engineers would recomment plastic. Steel are no dearer, can be built with integral support frame, and have drip rails fitted which will prolong the life considerably. If hit, plastic may crack, steel will dent.

Please install a HW tank, not a combi. This gives the householder a backup for HW if the boiler breaks down.

If lpg cookers less efficent that electric then sure heating your house with electric is the way to go??

oilman said:
If it has to be a wet system, I would use the HRM Wallstar oil boiler. They are tolerant of neglected servicing, mounted through the wall, so dont take up floor space so oil is all outside. For cooking gas may be ok for some people, but it is VERY inefficient. Are you going to offer fitted kitchens with appliances? If so I would look at induction hobs, as they are the most efficient and safest, all the user has to do is use steel or cast iron pans.

Though there are regulations for siting oil tanks, they can be varied by the BC, something not available for LPG. Oil tanks can be built any shape you want in steel. Once they are painted they need be no uglier than plastic, they have a longer life, and they don't fail catastrophically. You will find a minority of oil engineers would recomment plastic. Steel are no dearer, can be built with integral support frame, and have drip rails fitted which will prolong the life considerably. If hit, plastic may crack, steel will dent.

Please install a HW tank, not a combi. This gives the householder a backup for HW if the boiler breaks down.

Electric heating may be the way given modern insulation requirements. The overheads are very low, and if the heat demand of the house is low, oil or lpg maintenance becomes a big add on.

Sponsored Links
The houses are going to be sold on for profit, so one of the main points i'm looking at is the cost of the installation, and then probably how the tanks are going to look in the garden.

The houses are fairly large, so i don't think that an electric heating system is the solution.

And access to the properties is quite easy, there next to a main road.

Oh, and oilman, we will be offering fitted kitchens with appliances. I did like the idea of being able to have a gas hobs and gas fires. I find it much easier to cook on an gas hob, but than might just be me!

But i'm still not sure what to put in, some people on the forum like LPG, some like oil.

I have had customers changed from lpg to oil simply because of the cost of running on lpg. This was not from a sales leaflet costing, but from actual spend. They were on a central storage tank, so they didn't have the individual tanks plonked in the middle of the garden.

Still, I doubt I will be buying a house. Most builders seem to fit oil as the norm. LPG is a rare original installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back