oiling front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a solid mahogany door that has presumably been on our house for quite a while, at least before we moved in . It is in very good condition but at the moment it is varnished with blisters here and there. I would like to strip it down completely and use an oil finish on it. Has anyone got any advice or experience in this. Thanks in advance. James

Sponsored Links
James,

There is often a myth regarding the application of an oil or wax product being applied over a previously varnished substrate, yet I have no belief in this myth.

First off you are in for a little graft remove the existing system by mere sanding, then when your satisfied that all traces have been removed apply a clear wood preservitive such as Cuprinol, (pay particular attention to all door edges) google up Fiddes and take a glance at their exterior high build wood oil. This product would be in my opinion one of the finest if not the very best to suit your needs. And do not forget than when sanding always go with the grain of the timber and never against it.

Let me know your thoughts,

Dec

James,
The Dec is right on his pointers for your door, but to help ease the way of sanding, you could well try a universal varnish stripper and using medium grade wire wool to remove the crap. Stick to the line of the grain though as with sandpaper. Only work a small length of door or one panel at a time. don't rush it. Try a small area first to see the effect

You may have already thought of it, but removing the door and placing it on trestles or the seat part of a couple of chairs makes it easier working with the door on the flat.

The other thing to watch is not to apply too much oil at a time, sometimes when a door has had a previous coating it can change how much oil gets sucked into the wood in places before drying and can lead to patches.
It can also take longer to dry but looks nice and natural when finished.

Good advice ogm, yet I have to say that when removing an existing stain/varnish prior to the application of either an oil/wax, I do tend to lean toward the use of only an abrasive.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Quite agree Dec, the flat areas are ok but I find that if lots of varnish around the beads won't come off, a dab with some remover makes life easier and the wire wool won't spoil the grain.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back