OK to run/discharge old WC cistern overflow into sink waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower needs to be dealt with quite soon because of leaky tray/waste. If I can delay replacing the loo and sink until another day then it would be beneficial.

However the overflow pipe of old low level wc cistern is currently piped to discharge into the shower tray. Is it OK to pipe the overflow into the sink waste next to the loo instead for now so the shower can be done 'properly' without the overflow pipe?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Essentially yes. But I saw an interesting solution in a restaurant recently, whereby the overflow pipe had been squashed, and then placed under the toilet seat. You'd see if it was overflowing, and whichever way you do it, it's (I assume) only for a short period.

Thanks for both your input.

I kind of remember seeing that pipe under the seat trick once. It's another option.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
To comply with water regulations any overflow should run through a tun dish in an accessible location AND the discharge point should be protected from foul smells in the drainage system by a water trap or a fanny flap.

Tony

I think OP is intending to just hang the overflow over the top of the basin, not into its waste pipework! Is that right OP?
In which case, you're eventually going to run it back to the shower tray when done - again freely discharging into tray?
If that's your plan then I'd definitely just go for a new flush valve with internal overflow and block the old overflow with a blanking plug and do away with the old pipework for good.
As Andy Capp said: "it's over Flo" :D

Overflow or (warning pipe) should provide a visual warning of a problem, most used to be direct to outside, new WC's have an internal overflow (visible by water running into the WC Pan) or via a tundish (this gives a visual warning and an air break).

So this should be able to be adapted to be used in my old low level Wc with a lever handle ?

Some photos might help!
If you've a an old close-coupled wc with a fixing plate, you might have trouble decoupling cistern and pan - have a look at the fixings and see how rusty they are!

Some photos might help!
If you've a an old close-coupled wc with a fixing plate, you might have trouble decoupling cistern and pan - have a look at the fixings and see how rusty they are!

It probably hasn't been decoupled for ages!

loo diynot.JPG

the overhead cistern at my old workplace was rigged to overflow right into the pan from six feet.
good idea unless somebody was sitting on it at the time of overflow

It probably hasn't been decoupled for ages!

View attachment 105849

Ok, it's a low level cistern not a close coupled! Should be fairly straight forward to replace the flush with an internal overflow one.
Obviously you can't discharge the overflow into the basin cos it's higher!
This is another option...

Grrrr: can't paste link!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back