Ok what do these do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found these warm and buzzing away in a customers CU. If they are contactors, then I thought these were relays for moving heavy loads??
Please explain. :?:
HGES220X.JPG
HGES240.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
timer-controlled for storage heaters, perhaps?

I saw some of these the other day in a posh flat. They were all in a separate CU under the main CU. I think they were controlling the electric radiators in each room through a timer.

A schematic approach please!
1. What would these be used for in a semi-domestic building (flat above single phase workshop)
2. Do they provide protection to a circuit
3. What do they do. How do they "control" anything?
4. Are the transforming the voltage?

I know how circuit breakers/rcd's work!

if you know what a relay does, you know what a contactor does.

It enables you to switch a heavy load with a low-amp switch.

e.g. a 5A timer can control 100W of heating.

Or security lighting, floods etc.

it can also save the cost of running a big cable to a remote switch

could also be used for emergency power off where you might have lots of buttons and some big machines.

Ok, correct where wrong!
A contactor in CU is energised. Does that say there is a remote switch with low amp wiring on it connected to one side or the contactor in CU. On the other side there would be higher load current taken off busbar to feed a machine maybe?
Now here is the overcurrent device for that machine, is it integral?
Why not just have type C,D breaker to handle circuit?

you need an OCD as well, upstream of the contactor, so it shouldn't come off the busbar

A contactor is a switch. An MCB isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back