Ok, Who has lit their house up then??

My mum collects quite a bit (last year was just over £1000) for the air ambulance for her display, costs about 50p/hour to run for 7 hours a day so much less than what gets collected. Shes tight on a main pathway where people walk through the estate so that does help.

Just muggins here spending 5 days in the freezing cold putting it all up, o well, its for charity, makes me feel less guilty when i see these '£2 per month' ads on the telly :)

Sponsored Links

Moderator's note

Please see forum rules

2a) This is a friendly site and we expect everyone to treat other users with respect!

Sponsored Links
An apology.

May I take this opportunity to apologise for anything communicated that may have caused offence when voicing my opinions concerning the general qualities and aesthetics of holidays lights and in particular my subjective views regarding the mental state of those who choose to illuminate their properties.

I was mistaken to believe that such lights are tacky, cheap looking and annoying to those live close to or in close proximity of such temporary erections. In reflection this is not the case. Such lights are subtle, attractive and bring class to any abode and I would fully endorse anyone to buy and install such festive lights to bring joy a becon of hope to an otherwise dark time of year. These light truly reflect the true meaning of Christmas. There is indeed a message to all of us that I hope now everyone embraces. Indeed when I go to church for midnight mass next week I can only hope I will be greeted with a neon flashing sign requesting that “Santa Stop Here”.

I must apologise to anyone who was offended with my opinions concerning there mental state when they contemplate ways of celebrating this joyous time of year. For me to repeat what I said would be insulting to them and to what the general media label ‘Chavs’. Again I apologise.

I must apologise to the moderator who was forced to advise me that my comments were not in the spirit of this forum.

I also apologise to 2scoops0406 and ebee for persuading them into opinions and expressing opinions that were not of good intent. Chavtastic and ditto are not remarks I advocate and you too should be suitably embarrassed.

In order for this dreadful mistake not to occur again I will from now on only comment on socket testers and choc boxes.

Yours humbly

RJB :D :oops: :cry: You choose!

An apology.

May I take this opportunity to apologise for anything communicated that may have caused offence when voicing my opinions concerning the general qualities and aesthetics of holidays lights and in particular my subjective views regarding the mental state of those who choose to illuminate their properties.
I didn't read your post, but from what you say here it sounds like your opinion was quite a valid one.

I was mistaken to believe that such lights are tacky, cheap looking and annoying to those live close to or in close proximity of such temporary erections.
I don't believe you were wholly mistaken. You were wrong about them being annoying to everyone close to them, as clearly there are lots of people who do think they are great, but the first part of your belief is spot on.

In reflection this is not the case. Such lights are subtle, attractive and bring class to any abode
They are neither and they don't.

and I would fully endorse anyone to buy and install such festive lights to bring joy a becon of hope to an otherwise dark time of year.
I wouldn't.

These light truly reflect the true meaning of Christmas.
That, sadly, is pretty accurate.

There is indeed a message to all of us that I hope now everyone embraces.
They certainly do send out a very clear message about the sort of person who lives in the house.

And...relax. What a lot of vitriole for some temporary lights on a house for a few weeks of the year! Can't say it bothers me, to be honest, in fact I find it quite entertaining. Particularly pleasing (for me) last year was the huge inflatable Santa that the owner had placed on top of their large, period, victorian property - cheered me up no end when walking home from a bad day at work, although I'm sure it probably enraged some of the other locals that like to feel they should have a say...

More entertainment (or rage, for those that believe they have "taste") here: http://www.houseblinger.com

there's no point arguing on questions of taste.

there's no point arguing on questions of taste.

Absolutely agree, that's why it often surprises me that people think there's some absolute definition to argue/defend :). Concepts of right/wrong "taste" are right up there with ideas of "common sense", and I quite like Einstein's take on that: "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen".

Bar Humbug

It's only a laugh (and the kids think it will help Santa find his way).

:D

Bar Humbug

It's only a laugh (and the kids think it will help Santa find his way).

:D

Hope you're not "humbugging" me - I like 'em (or at least can't see the harm) :) . Although, technically of course, it's Rudolph's red nose that will be mostly helping Santa find his way...

POINT 1

http://www.houseblinger.com/bling-details.php?BlingID=5009

From my Oxford pocket dictionary that sits next to my OSG in my tool box

Taste n 3) the ability to perceive beauty or quality.

What a lot of vitriole for some temporary lights

Temporary!!! By temporary do you mean mid november to end Janurary?
I know of a house where they are hung all year round the house liek Brighton seafront out of season.

Humbug!! No commensense more like!!

I rest my case!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back