Old Boiler room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I want to turn an old boiler room in to a Reptile room but have no clue where to start.

The back wall that used to hold the Boiler has been brought in a foot and a half to hide the pipes for the boiler, now I wanted to take away the copper pipes and box in the 2 bigger stainless pipes but after testing the copper water pipe it turns out that its still active

a couple of the pipes stick out of the wall so I thought it maybe easier to tear down the old frame and build a new one bringing it out to around 2ft to hide all the copper pipes
p1011324.jpg

p1011327x.jpg

On the right hand wall about an inch from the frame there is a blanking plate.Can this be moved and substituted for a double socket? as there is no sockets in the room at all.

p1011327x.jpg

Cheers in advance

Also on a side note this work was carried out before I moved in to the house.Is it safe or even legal to be left like this

Sponsored Links
I want to turn an old boiler room in to a Reptile room but have no clue where to start.

Oh well, you've come to the right place then, it's full of snakes here!!

Is there a trouser snake in that pair of overalls hanging on the wall :eek:

It should go without saying that you'll need to trace these pipes back to where they originate from, and cap them off at that point to try and get rid of the dead legs that you've been left with here. Failing that, if you really can't/wont remove all the redundant pipework, you can at least take it back to a level under the floorboards and cap there.

I'd try and avoid leaving it behind the wall, as it's another thing for someone to accidentally drill into in the future.

If the gas pipework is still connected then you'll want to get an RGI in to look at that.

Sponsored Links
It should go without saying that you'll need to trace these pipes back to where they originate from, and cap them off at that point to try and get rid of the dead legs that you've been left with here. Failing that, if you really can't/wont remove all the redundant pipework, you can at least take it back to a level under the floorboards and cap there.

I'd try and avoid leaving it behind the wall, as it's another thing for someone to accidentally drill into in the future.

If the gas pipework is still connected then you'll want to get an RGI in to look at that.

Thanks for the reply mate

Its council property and it was them who removed the old boiler and left it like that.Is this ilegal to be left in that state or if I phoned them and asked for it to be repaired properly would they tell me its fine as it is.

Not long moved in and the cupboard was just a dumping ground untill now so it has never bothered me

Cheers

Its council property and it was them who removed the old boiler and left it like that.Is this ilegal to be left in that state or if I phoned them and asked for it to be repaired properly would they tell me its fine as it is.

Not long moved in and the cupboard was just a dumping ground untill now so it has never bothered me

Cheers

It's a council property??!! What with two gas flues passing through it?? Where in Glasga do you live son??

Cheers

Are you sure that your Council does permit reptiles being kept in their properties?

Tony

Its council property and it was them who removed the old boiler and left it like that.Is this illegal to be left in that state or if I phoned them and asked for it to be repaired properly would they tell me its fine as it is.

Cheers

It's a council property??!! What with two gas flues passing through it?? Where in Glasga do you live son??

Ibrox mate

Tony what does it matter if its a rep or a cat the housing get informed
The only thing you are not allowed to keep are dwa unless you have a certificate and even then the housing would have the last say

Ibrox mate...................Ah, one of our own.

If that's gas appliance flues passing through your home & they're in use - they should be inspected annually!!

Do you live in a tenement?

Ibrox mate...................Ah, one of our own.

If that's gas appliance flues passing through your home & they're in use - they should be inspected annually!!

Do you live in a tenement?

Yes mate top floor

Lived here 15 month and thats us just got round to that cupboard lol but they have never been inspected.

If they had ripped out all those copper pipes when removing the boiler instead of snipping and capping then I could have boxed those flues in with access.

After looking at them again 1 of them dissapears downstairs and the other stops about a 1/2 ft short is that correct?

What sort of response should I expect from the housing if I asked them to do something with it. to be honest its not something I want left like that regardless of who does it as I have a young boy running about and he is in to everything the min your back is turned

I'd get back on the phone to the Dafties at the HA & say the gas flues that pass through your flat, have never been checked!! Tell them you have spoken to a Gas Safe RGI & they(flues) should be checked as part of a Landlords CP12.

It could be that the flues are redundant, perhaps the old boiler flues??

I'd get back on the phone to the Dafties at the HA & say the gas flues that pass through your flat, have never been checked!! Tell them you have spoken to a Gas Safe RGI & they(flues) should be checked as part of a Landlords CP12.

It could be that the flues are redundant, perhaps the old boiler flues??

If they are redundent should they have been taken away along with all the copper piping instead of them being left partially hidden behind a wall?

We have a new combi boiler fitted in the Kitchen that vents straight out the wall, I think the full close has the new boilers.

Cheers again for the reply mate

Of course it's up to the Landlord(HA) what they remove, but you'd think the HA COW(Clerk of Works) would want the whole of the old system removed??!! Giving you addiational floor space.

I may have been a bit harsh on the HA staff calling them dafties, given that they'll have loads of property to look after.

Perhaps you could request a member of the HA staff meets you at your flat & ask them these questions.

Good luck & I hope you get sorted out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back