Gas supply to fireplace in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered what the restrictions are regading the supply of a gas pipe to a living room fireplace. It currently has a microbore copper pipe connected to an old lead pipe which is all burried in the wall behind the plaster.

As I mentioned on a different thred all the lead pipe work in the house is going and so I was wondering about how to supply a new pipe to the fireplace, can I :

1) Take out a couple of bricks in the wall outside (easy job as I have lime mortar) and supply a new microbore copper pipe in the cavity wall

or

2) Dig out a long channel anlong the length of the living room for a new microbore copper pipe and replaster the channel.

I would prefer to do option 1 as I would have access to the cavity wall space when my new inwall gas meter cabinet goes in (and when the meter gets moved into the in wall unit).

Sponsored Links
When CORGI did mine they used 15mm pipe from external gas meter along brick work (externaly) then through the wall under the floor to the nice chrome thingy. Then from there nice chrome to gas fire.
Whilst the external copper did not look very nice, once it dulled down & the plants grew, its not noticed.

You can't fit a gas pipe in a cavity wall, you can through from outside to inside with the appropriate precautions. A sunkin meter still means the gas pipe comes up the outside on the surface into the front of the box and the pipe leaving goes throught the wall to, usually out the bottom then into the property with the same precautions carried out.

Sponsored Links
Pipes for certain gas fires can be run in cavity`s but only for a very short distance and i`m afraid it doesn`t cover what you are wanting, as for channeling pipe you will have to use 15mm as 8 mm can only be used for the last metre of a fire run. and it needs wrapped for protection with an appropriate tape before being plastered over..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back