1970s gas pipe in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just removed the original fireplace hearth and came across this. Before I get someone in to refill the hole with concrete, I wondered if the pipe needs better protecting?

The pipe is really solid which makes me think it might be iron and not copper? Was that standard practice in those days for gas pipes running under the floor? Seemed odd at first that there was be no protection for it.

We don't plan on using the fireplace, however, it isn't obvious where the main gas line tees off for this section. The gas supply starts in the garage and then the pipe runs into the living room wall but then it is no where to be seen on the other side, which makes me think it might split off in two ways under ground somewhere?!

Just wanted to understand a) what the pipe is made of and b) does it need further protection before being covered?

Cheers

IMG_20190731_183630.jpg

IMG_20190731_183909.jpg

Sponsored Links
It could be iron. Does a magnet stick to it?

I'm all for extra protection for gas pipes regardless of material, although if you're only doing that short section it hardly seems worth it... put a carrier bag over it before you concrete in, that will help

Sponsored Links
Obviously iron. Is the meter in the garage? Where is your boiler, and do you use a gas cooker. If you are doing any major refurb, it may be a good idea to abandon the iron (assuming it IS still live) and rerun to the boiler in Copper. The iron pipe often leaks, but not normally underground. It tends to corrode as it comes out of the floor, particularly in the kitchen where it is damp and steamy, and possibly with periodically wet floors.

The practicality will depend on the location of the items I mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back