Gas pipe under woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick question - we recently had a woodburner installed over a capped gas pipe. Basically, the gas engineer tracked it back from under the fireplace and capped it about 100mm from where the stove sits, under about 60mm of concrete and then 20mm of slate hearth. Both the gas engineer and stove installer said this would be fine, but I am looking for a little more reassurance! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Presumably HETAS and Gas Safe guys ? Me, I'd believe them ;)

Rough bastards. Residual heat for the fire could cause the gas pipe to melt. Big issues for you then.

Sponsored Links
I dunno, some of those HETAS and gas safe guys really don't know what they are doing, especially the ones that don't contribute here.

I think the OP has some reasonable fears, and needs reassuring by a bunch of not know it alls. It's Christmas, and we should be doing all we can for those more unfortunate than we are.

Thanks all for your replies. Yes just need a bit it reassurance from you guys and general opinions.

It was signed off by a HETAS engineer, said it was ‘not ideal but won’t be a problem’ I mean, that’s great and all but not exactly 100% reassuring! Hearth is pretty hot now and had fire on for the last 3 hours, hopefully that chunck of concrete should do it!!

It's okay Sohie, it will be fine. The concrete hearth will act like a giant heatsink, and just soak up any heat from the fire, but it'll never get hot enough to ignite the gas. But if you're really worried (and I'm inclined to ask why it wasn't done) then cap the pipe off at the point it comes off the main supply. There shouldn't really be a dead leg.

It's okay Sohie, it will be fine. The concrete hearth will act like a giant heatsink, and just soak up any heat from the fire, but it'll never get hot enough to ignite the gas. But if you're really worried (and I'm inclined to ask why it wasn't done) then cap the pipe off at the point it comes off the main supply. There shouldn't really be a dead leg.

Thank you :) Well we had the gas engineer in to cap it, and the builder at the same time to start opening up the fireplace. The gas pipe comes into our lounge and is all buried in the concrete, so the builder had to chase it all out (if that’s the right term) back to the main pipe. It runs straight along floor under the hearth and into our kitchen so as far as I know they couldn’t cap it back any further than they did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back