Routing of gas supply pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm removing tiles in my kitchen on the external wall. The wall is finished with plasterboard dot-and-dabbed to breeze blocks.

There is a copper pipe exiting the tiling and entering the boiler - i assume this is the gas supply pipe.

This got me wondering about the route the supply pipe takes. Since there is no real void (the board is stuck to the breeze block) is it likely that a channel has been chased out for the pipe or that it simply goes through the blocks and runs in the cavity space between the internal & external course of bricks.

I've attached a photo.

View media item 39420
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hi its not permitted to run gas pipes within a cavity( with the exception of some living flame fires) so i imagine the pipes chased into the wall as you first thought hope this helps Paul.

as said you cant run gas pipes in cavitys. Do you have a concrete floor? chances are the pipes sunk in the floor.

as said you cant run gas pipes in cavitys. Do you have a concrete floor? chances are the pipes sunk in the floor.
Yer the floors are concrete.

It's making removing the tiles a nervous process for me since the original kitchen fitters have seen fit to tile right up to the pipe and grout around it.
Would of been better if it entered in the corner.

I'm bashing away with a bolster chisel and hammer to crack off these tiles. The last thing I need is a gas leak!

Sponsored Links
The pipe will be quite durable, just rip the tiles off.

If you nick the pipe accidentally just make sure you turn the gas off at the ECV.

But as said, a gas pipe ran through a cavity is a no no, Infact its At Risk and turn offable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back