Is this gas pipe legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing the tiles in my kitchen.

We have 2 gas appliances. A gas hob and the boiler, both in the kitchen.

The gas supply comes in through the front of the house makes its way unseen through the living room and presumably comes up through the concrete floor by the oven where the hob is plumbed in. It then somehow makes its way to the boiler.

Upon removing the tiles in my kitchen it appears that the gas supply pipe to the boiler runs along the surface of the breeze blocks and is buried in plasterboard adhesive and then plasterboard has been placed over it. It exits the plasterboard just below the boiler.

This is slightly surprising to me as I had assumed it would be in a void chased into the breeze blocks. The use of plasterboard adhesive essentially to secure it seems unorthodox but what do i know?

I have attached a photo - opinions please.

View media item 39437

Sponsored Links
It's ok to run it between plasterboard and breeze block but it should be properly supported and protected. I.E clipped with stand-off clips and not touching any plaster or brick. I think it's meant to be in a channel made between two wooden batons. What you have there isn't correct but it is common.

If copper pipe is in contact with plaster or concrete then it should really be protected by plastic tape or other protective coating to prevent corrosion.

Tony

The feedback I'm getting thus far is that this is not best practice but is not illegal/unsafe either.

Am I right?

Sponsored Links
http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/lite...on-Tips/Domestic-gas-installation-testing.pdf

Have a read of that.

As said its not 'illegal' There isn't much thats 'illegal' in gas, perhaps working on gas without being 'compotent' would be deemed as illegal.

That said, If somethings going to kill you, or your neighbours. A gas fitter working on it has a legal obligation to ask permission to turn it off/disconnect it.

If this thread is still active tomorrow, ill bring in my unsafe sits book to give you a proper classification. But at most its At Risk, but more than likely to be Not to Current Standards. Ill also grab hold of my Corgi and Viper book.

Hell if im going though the 20,000 pages BG give me for my gas reference material.

the plaster covered the pipe to make it classed as not in a void very common on new builds (well was 10 years back when i last did one).
usually the pipe would be taped or if doing a barrel gas carcass at same time may have got a coat of paint if .

if its not taped and its not leaking its not to current standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back