Redirecting a gas pipe in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi helpfull people :LOL:

I have a gas pipe under kitchen units coming up through concrete kitchen floor about 15cm from outside wall, it then bends over hot and cold water pipes then continues to run up the wall to boiler.

I'm just planning a new kitchen and this pipe in bang in the footprint of where I want the washing machine ( no other options )

What I would like to do is redirect pipe so it runs up to boiler behind the plasterboard wall, giving me the space i need to fit washing machine.
No problem moving the water pipes, but not sure what I can and can't do with this gas pipe.

Can I dig the floor around gas pipe, trace it back to where it hopefully comes under/through the wall and redirect it behind plasterboard wall?
Obviously this would mean cutting the pipe and re-coupling with suitable fitting.
Anyone know what I can/should do?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Call a Corgi. If it's for a boiler, it'll need to be replaced with a bigger pipe if more than about 2 yards from the meter. That means ALL of it..

Are you saying you cannot cut and splice an existing gas pipe run?
Why would the pipe need replacing for a bigger one?

There is a single pipe (steel? with threaded fittings) coming from the meter that runs down from meter underground and along the outside front of exterior wall (I know this because I saw it when I had a drain problem with associated excavation)

The run from meter to boiler is approx 6m where it must 'T' off as the run continues another 2-4 meters and terminates where a gas cooker/hob would connect, this part of the pipe also comes up out of concrete floor but on the wall to the right (if you are facing boiler)

Sponsored Links
Is that not a massive contradiction?

No you can't shorten a gas pipe 20cm and reconnect.
And you can't unless competent.

Sorry that does not make sence.

Can you or can't you?

If youre a corgi can you or can't you?

Sorry I thought I'd read 15mm - which would be no good for a boiler of any size.
To have an idea what the pipe diameter needs to be, tell us what it's feeding.
To do your own gas work you have to be competent, whch means more than working out the size. There are several rules on what can and can't be done, and of course you have to know how, and have the kit, to test it. In other words you're being told you can't do it yourself.

This is an existing pipe run to boiler.

Basically the supply pipe to boiler comes up through concrete floor 15cm from outside wall inside the kitchen.

I simply want that 15cm back to site a washing machine, this would mean shortening the pipe run (under the concrete floor) approx 20cm and running it up to boiler behind the plasterboard within the outside wall cavity.

This is how it is.

Plan view

Outside house
------------------------------
wall cavity

plasterboard
^
15cm
-
-
-
O <pipe coming out of floor in kitchen

This is what I want.

Outside house

wall cavity

O < pipe coming out of floor behind plasterboard
plasterboard

Kitchen floor

So can this be done?

Running gas pipes in cavities is a no no.
You can pass across a cavity within a sleeve but not what you are describing.
Why not just move it back to the wall and then run up the wall to where you want it.

Thx,
the reason I wanted it in the cavity was so I could push the washing machine as far back to the wall as possible so it did'nt stick out from under the worksurface.
Dont like the idea of the washing machine possibly rubbing on a gas pipe either :eek:

Obviously with where the pipe is at the moment I can't even site the machine there.

Space is very tight, and I'm very limited as to where I can site appliances mainly because of the concrete floor and where the waste is (also through the concrete floor).

You could construct a recess in the wall for the pipe to sit in.
But don't cover it because it then becomes a duct which will require ventilation in it.

Could anyone confirm that the recess route is feasible.

Also looking at how that boiler is connected, I doubt it was corgi certed, how do I find out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back