old boiler using loads of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 15yr old Worcester Highflow 3.5. We are using 13 metered units which converts to around 145 Kwh every 24hrs at the moment, say £11 or so each day. It's a 4 bed stone cottage and although we are losing heat through the floors, walls and ceilings, the heating is kept on fairly low, not on in the day, we have 2 baths and 2 washing machine loads a day, the house doesn't feel that warm.
Even making allowances for the time of year the gas usage seems very high as I was under the impression that 1Kwh was could be likened to a 1Kw elec fire on for 1 hour.
I just wondered how much gas other people use in a 24hr period for comparison, it's not the cost comparison just the gas Kwhs.

Sponsored Links
A 1 kW electric fire is hardly noticeable in a larger room! Even a 2 kW fan heated will be on continuously in a small bedsit.

Get real and realise you need a lot of heat in this cold weather. A typical 3 bed semi needs 10-12kW of heating.

Yours seems about right!

How about insulating the floors? 50mm insulation!

Tony

Well we are certainly getting 'real' old son as £900 energy bills for us isn't.
Are you seriously suggesting that we dig up all our concrete floors as that doesn't sound too real at all!

There have been a large number of threads about this lately. All of them have resulted in the horrid shock that gas is blooming expensive. Annoying since I have had to turn off my weather compensation.

You have an inefficient boiler. Uninsulated floors, and your windows and loft are an unknown quantity.

Your daily costs are not a surprise.

Sponsored Links
Well we are certainly getting 'real' old son as £900 energy bills for us isn't.
If your bills are that much then you may be justified in going eco friendly and getting a new condensing boiler. Its gonna cost a bit but with the new TRV's that have to be fitted and 'boiler interlock' Thats posh talk that means room stat ;) your bills will come down a bit.
Normally I say take whatever boiler you have and run it into the ground but the savings you could make do seem worth your while.
Try this HOME ENERGY CHECK but dont forget to take money off the so called savings to cover the cost of the new boiler

Another important point before you lash out on a new boiler... How is your insulation? Theres no point in crying about bills if your insulation isn't up to scratch. Insulation pays for itself from day one and never stops. By far the best investment

Some people like to heat up their conservatory. Like minded people stand in the street and give money away. Trouble is I never seem to come across any of the latter :confused:

EDIT:-
I just came back to bounce some figures about

145 Kwh every 24hrs at the moment, say £11 or so each day.
I randomly selected green tariff from EDF. Whatever way you look at it Electric is 2 to 3 times more expensive

Electricity
Electricity unit costs

Than Band A rate will apply to a block of 900 kWh each year. This will be applied on a pro rata basis for each day covered by the bill and rounded to the nearest whole kWh. E.g. for a bill covering 90 days the first 222 kWh used in that billing period will be charged at the Band A rate. All other day kWh will be charged at the Band B rate.
Band A 20.61
Band B 10.22
Gas
Gas unit costs

The Band A rate will apply to a block of 2680 kWh each year. This will be applied on a pro rata basis for each day covered by the bill and rounded to the nearest whole kWh. E.g. for a bill covering 90 days, the first 661 kWh used in that billing period will be charged at the Band A rate. All other kWh will be charged at the Band B rate.
Band A 7.35
Band B 3.209

Hold on though Your boiler is maybe 65% efficient so you are only getting 65% of the 145KW and thats only 95KW

A modern boiler is 90% efficient so you would need 106KW giving you a saving of £3 a day during winter months
Now if every day was winter that would be £1095 a year based on your current tariff. I reckon it would be fair to half that sum and call it your saving. A new boiler could pay for itself in say five or six years

One thing about electric is its 100% efficient so you would only need 95KW but at 20p a KW thats still £19 a day

Are you seriously suggesting that we dig up all our concrete floors as that doesn't sound too real at all!

Move to somewhere where you can afford to live and heat your family Moron, do you want it written with a bit of chalk ... :?: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back