Old BT back box which feeds the neighbour as well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Am I right in thinking BT were supposed to be phasing these old "phone junction" boxes out? Looking to get fttc install in but apparently the line needs replacing (which I knew as its the old line). I thought BT were responsible for replacing these boxes\lines as it comes over the poles onto the wall and then feeds the neighbours house as well?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looking to get fttc install in but apparently the line needs replacing

FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet, the cabinet being a box in the street where the small cable from your house connects to a larger cable from the exchange. The ADSL signal is added to your line in the cabinet, previous to FTTC it was injected at teh telephone exchange.

Hence it may not be necessary to change the way your phone line reaches your house.

( for what its worth the "black box" on my wall carries 5 lines to commercial units as well as my line. Installed last year to replace 3 overhead cables )

It's normal to have an external box which connects neighbours' lines. If you mean a box inside the house that's a bit non-standard.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be a party line - they were usually arranged so you didn't have an immediate neighbour as your sharer.

Difficult to answer without more information,the black box you are talking about could be whats called a dacs,two lines share one pair of wires between the exchange and the dacs unit which is normally mounted on the pole near your house.dacs are not compatible with adsl/fibre a new pair of wires would need to be found in order to remove you from the shared pair of wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back