Old cast iron radiator system ringing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old 1920's apartment building. Only in the winter when the heat is running, an ominous ringing noise emanates from a specific radiator in my apartment. I'm on the 5th floor, and on the ground floor directly below I can hear the same noise, emanating from the pipes that run along the ceiling in the hallway, and I'm told the pump is nearby. If you touch the pipes you can feel the heat and vibration, with the exact same ringing. I've tried working with the management but they claim it's just the noise the system makes and isn't a problem, and can't be quieted. The specialized mechanic who works on these old systems came by to fix other issues, and didn't readily see any problem that would cause this. The noise can get irritating in the middle of the night sometimes when it seems to get louder. I recorded the sound, my radiator is right by the window so you'll have to excuse the street noise:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/2OkSvlOU/radiator.html

Any ideas to the cause? I've tried leaving my radiator completely on, and completely off, doesn't really make a difference. I don't even need the radiator for heat in this room, I just wish it would stop making noise.

Sponsored Links
This is likely to be transmitted resonance from somewhere else on the system - probably the pump. It can be very difficult if not impossible to cure but yuou might improve things by mounting the radiator on rubber pads.....but I doubt it!
My own scenario is that I can hear what my oil burner is doing because it resonates through the oil pipe to the tank outside - bizarre!
We'll see what others think.
John :)

Well @ least youre not hearing tappings (Papillon film) or got a chipmunk girl behind it ( Eraserhead film ) :eek: You have harmonic resonance in that particular rad - same frequency as the noise in the pipes - Now the Jap. bike makers used to have similar problem with their air cooled 2 strokes :idea: and they simply wedged rubber bungs between the fins - Try some wooden wedges with rubber matting to protect the metal - and tap them in . :mrgreen:

My guess is that the pipework is black iron and not copper and that the pump is flanged high head to overcome the higher flow resistance in the system that that you say serves several other apartments. In which case without major upheaval you will have no option other than to live with it.

Sponsored Links
I live in an old 1920's apartment building. Only in the winter when the heat is running, an ominous ringing noise emanates from a specific radiator in my apartment. I'm on the 5th floor, and on the ground floor directly below I can hear the same noise, emanating from the pipes that run along the ceiling in the hallway, and I'm told the pump is nearby. If you touch the pipes you can feel the heat and vibration, with the exact same ringing. I've tried working with the management but they claim it's just the noise the system makes and isn't a problem, and can't be quieted. The specialized mechanic who works on these old systems came by to fix other issues, and didn't readily see any problem that would cause this. The noise can get irritating in the middle of the night sometimes when it seems to get louder. I recorded the sound, my radiator is right by the window so you'll have to excuse the street noise:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/2OkSvlOU/radiator.html

Any ideas to the cause? I've tried leaving my radiator completely on, and completely off, doesn't really make a difference. I don't even need the radiator for heat in this room, I just wish it would stop making noise.

My Brother in Law had a similar prob in New York 18th Floor old system. turned out set valve was fixed due to calcification and his rad was never used from one year to next. Managed to free up the old (high quality) brass valves - vented rad and noise disappeared. This scenario is very common with Rads that are often superfluous to usual heating requirements. One option is to fit a thermostatic valve which will at least operate automatically at a chosen variable temp. Rgds M

Bet there's a gert big belt driven pump in the boiler house. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back