Tapping/clicking noise from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could someone point me in the right direction with this problem?

I have 5 radiators upstairs in my house. A boiler upstairs that feeds the radiators directly. Every morning when the bolier starts up there is a clicking\\\\tapping noise that comes from the two radiators in my bedroom, but doesnt seem to affect the other radiators upstairs. This noise gradually gets louder (its a great alarm clock)and then begins to peter out. I assume its due to cold pipes/radiators expanding when they become hot, but isnt a \\\'tapping\\\' noise unusual for it to be this? Each of the affected radiators makes its own tapping noise - it doesnt seem to be the same noise reverberating through both rads. Someone please give me some advice! (apart from turning the radiators off, which works, but has the side affect of giving me frostbite in the morning!) Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Sounds indeed like expansion. Problem is caused by friction and can usually be solved by giving the pipes room too move or cover them with old fashioned lagging.

could also be the rad. expanding on the metal brackets. Most rads these days come with little plastic caps to cover the brackets and prevent metal - metal contact.

not much you can do if it is except remove the rad and rehang using some of the little plastic covers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Im finding it really difficult to locate the source of the noise if it is expanding pipes. How do you tie down the source of the noise if its reverberating through frmo the boiler through the pipes to the rads?? I think Ill get a plumber in.

take the carpets up and see where the boards have been lifted b4

lift said board/s there will be a tight notch somewhere by the sound of it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back