Radiator always off, clicking always there!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read numerous posts on here regarding clicking noise when radiators go on or go off and usually its because of expanding/contracting of the radiator. I always have my radiator off, partly because I get to warm and because there is a clicking noise that goes with it when on.

A couple of days ago we had a plumber in to fix dripping tap and a couple of radiators (not the one in question) and since then, my radiator is producing a constant clicking noise when the heating is on but my radiator is off. Before the plumber came, even if the heating came on, because my radiator was off, it never made clicking noise, and now it does! The plumber never touched my radiator when fixing the other ones, and because it's always off, cant be because its expanding/contracting as I never heat it up.

Its driving me mad so I would love any ideas on what the problem could be and if its worth getting plumber back out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome bex2323

it could be the pipework assuming you have another radiator further down stream

Or a thermostatic rad valve (if fitted) try opening and closing it a few times.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, and thanks for the quick replies! I have tried opening and closing the valve (although it is really awkward cos my inbuilt wardrobes have been built so close to radiator I can just get my hand in to turn valve!) but it still clicks. Its never done this before and the plumber didnt even touch it. The only thing is I can think of is in my sisters room (which is near mine) the valve on that radiator snapped off when it was full blast, so until we get a new one, its permentaly on and constantly clicks. Could this cause mine to start clicking all the time when the heating is on, even though mine is turned off? Im hoping once my sisters is sorted mine stop making noises!

Can't believe we have had such bad luck again with plumbing but at least this time it isnt because the plumbers dad got kidnapped by pirates (not even joking!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back