old copper 23mm pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was on a job today with a plumber who as been in the trade at least 20yrs, he was changing a 1970s system to a modern combi system in an old house, only his 22mm fittings would not fit the old pipe so he cut a bit off and placed it on a level surface with a piece of new 22mm copper pipe and you could see it was 1mm bigger, he has never come across this before so I thought I would ask if any of you lot had seen this before.

Sponsored Links
3/4" copper pipe. Loads of it about so its a bit odd that someone in the trade that long hasn't seen it before.

You can use a 22mm compression fitting if you replace the olive with a 3/4" one available from any plumbers merchant. Or you can convert to 22mm with an imperial to metric end feed connector.

Oh Yeah, That'll teach me to read posts properly. Apologies to the OP and his friend. Don't remember seeing such pipe either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far charnwood I do not know what 20 thread is? and gas112 I left him there ringing round to see if anyone had any fitting for this size of pipe, I will let you know how he gets on.

Was it in the loft?

It sounds to me most likely that it was 22 mm and became frozen and has expanded.

You can usually see the evidence of that at the fittings!

Tony

Hertzdrainage2010 it was a thicker gage pipe, say if ordinary 22m pipe is 1mm then this pipe is 1.2mm Agile the pipe was on an external solid brick wall but not in the loft but I like that theory.

Threaded pipe will be nearer 3mm wall so frost damage is the most likely answer.

Hertzdrainage2010 it was a thicker gage pipe, say if ordinary 22m pipe is 1mm then this pipe is 1.2mm Agile the pipe was on an external solid brick wall but not in the loft but I like that theory.

Do you mean inside the thermal envelope of the building or outdoors?

If its outdoors then the 20 years plumber has been learning nothing!

22 mm pipe is about 1.0 mm wall thickness.

Tony

It does not have to split.

Most that I see outside has just expanded without splitting!

Just a little embarrassing when you have quoted a price and the copper will not fit inside the couplers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back