Old cottage interior

C

chinablue777

A friend of mine has just asked me to give him a hand to decorate a single room in a 17th century cottage. The problem is two of the walls are cob. He wants to get rid of the old plaster back down to the cob , and then re-do , but the problem is what to re-do with!. I have worked on cob a few times before but only on the outside. I don't have a clue what would be best to use indoors. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Cob is an earthen plaster, and the mention of it takes me back a very very long way back to what was then a very involved c&g. If memory serves me correct cob should be painted only with a breathable paint system.

Dec

Basically a mud hut. I believe it usually has a limewash coating. If you try and take the plaster off, where will you stop? (should be lime plaster)

Thank you Dec and John. Dec , you say it should be painted with a breathable paint system , but not directly onto the cob surely? You have obviously worked with cob yourself many years ago, (your words not mine !! ) so you will know that cob will literaly suck the paint right off the brush!. So I am assuming that plastering first is the way to go?. Would that be your everyday kind of plaster?
John you are right in saying it is basicaly a mud hut!. A very old mud hut , but a mud hut all the same. The old plaster has to come off that is for sure , and taken off down to the cob itself to ensure a proper job. Where will it stop you ask , good question , but cob as you know , was always layed down thick!. These walls are at least 3 feet thick so I am hoping it will be a painless operation!. I just need to know if everyday plaster will do , or will it have to be a bit special. Thank you to both of you , and I look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
I've never dealt with it myself but I do know, as JohnD says, that the cob blocks would originally have been covered with a lime plaster. This could have been haired or unhaired and even made with cow manure. This would allow the cob to breathe and would have been painted with a limewash.
For the best advice on what to use it would be a good idea to ask in the Plastering forum where I'm sure a lot of the guys will be able to help.

Thank you Dec and John. Dec , you say it should be painted with a breathable paint system , but not directly onto the cob surely? You have obviously worked with cob yourself many years ago, (your words not mine !! ) so you will know that cob will literaly suck the paint right off the brush!. So I am assuming that plastering first is the way to go?. Would that be your everyday kind of plaster?
John you are right in saying it is basicaly a mud hut!. A very old mud hut , but a mud hut all the same. The old plaster has to come off that is for sure , and taken off down to the cob itself to ensure a proper job. Where will it stop you ask , good question , but cob as you know , was always layed down thick!. These walls are at least 3 feet thick so I am hoping it will be a painless operation!. I just need to know if everyday plaster will do , or will it have to be a bit special. Thank you to both of you , and I look forward to your replies.

English heritage will put you on the right track and don't forget list building permissions ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back