Old Cow Shed Renovation - Flooring

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guys,
I am renovating an old cow shed with old concrete into music rooms for working at home. I have removed the internal (non load bearing) walls which was a nightmare as the concrete may as well have been steel girders. With the times that are in it I just cannot afford to pour a new concrete floor which I know would be ideal.

My plan at the minute is to place wooden beams around the perimeter in two sections (so the two rooms I intend to put in there do not touch) and use 2x6 5.4m lengths to joist out the floor with a polythene barrier and insulation between the joists. There is currently no damp issues with the concrete floor that is there and there has been no moisture except for a leak in the roof which will be repaired.

As the room is approx 5.58m meters wide my spans won't be quite long enough to span the entire length, so I think I may have to construct a centre joist and join to that to break the length.

I am hoping to brace the roof from the external walls, so the floor will mainly be supporting the stud walling that goes into the rooms. I will use something like 18mm sterling board as a flooring on the joists. Obviously I will place noggins to add support between the joists and from the joists to the floor.

Am I OK in my thinking? By placing a level joist around the external walls I am avoiding all the rises and falls that the shed floor was designed with.

Thanks for any advice.
The approx dimensions are 14m x 5.58m
mtDMu50l.jpg

mtDMu50

Sponsored Links
Do you have the height to raise the proposed timber floor, and create a ventilated space underneath?

Hey thanks for the reply. the lowest possible point for the ceiling is currently at 2.58m and it goes to a height at the middle of the room at 3.3. I will be creating an apex roof so I will come back down the far side. So I technically have some space. There will be a gap at most spots underneath, I was thinking of maybe running a pipe with holes in it. Or what way should i consider?

Hey thanks for the reply. the lowest possible point for the ceiling is currently at 2.58m and it goes to a height at the middle of the room at 3.3. I will be creating an apex roof so I will come back down the far side. So I technically have some space. There will be a gap at most spots underneath, I was thinking of maybe running a pipe with holes in it. Or what way should i consider?
If you create a void underneath the timber floor, just create air vents either end, and/or sides of the building. Atmospheric pressure will do the rest.

Raise your timber on non-permeable blocks/bricks where necessary, protect the timber with a dpc between timber and blocks. (and between the timber and wall where it touches the outer wall.)
No need for any dpm on the concrete floor.
Use joist hangers to fix the joists to the perimeter timbers. You can add intermediate block/brick supports if you want, even a dwarf wall (with sufficient gaps to allow airflow through the void).

I suspect you'll need some heating and/or a fair amount of insulation for all surfaces.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't suggest how your rooms will be operated when completed, but as a musician who teaches and plays with groups/bands, rehearsal space is important to all musicians.
So don't forget:
drinks and/or relaxing opportunities
storage (instruments, music, chairs, music stands, cases, coats, hats, etc)
Power for electric instruments.
Loading/unloading and access for heavy and bulky instruments.
A NOTICE BOARD! sorry about the shouting, it's to promote mixing/mingling/cooperation etc. as well as users information.
Emergency exits.
White/black boards in rooms?

I hope others might contribute to assist you in making the most of your proposed facilities.

Thanks again,
This is the proposed layout for the minute. My main concern to get moving straight away is just getting the floor in.

When you say raise my timber with blocks, where do you mean? I was hoping to attach the joists spanning the width of the room to the perimeter timbers directly. With the perimeter timbers just being attached directly to the external walls. The studwalls would have a double layer of drywall (both vertical and horizontal) on the outside facing the external walls then insulation after that and then a layer a fabric on the inside. A kind of reverse setup.

hMBYNYLl.png

aGgkBxWl.png

I'd use concrete blocks or bricks to raise the perimeter timber, and to support that timber.
Then fix the joists to that perimeter timber with joist hangers.
There may be a minimum requirement for the underfloor void ventilation of 150mm.
This may help for information:
https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/5-subs...-floors/5-2-10-damp-proofing-and-ventilation/

As I assume you are not doing the work to any Building regulations, you are not obliged to keep to the requirements but it would be wise to use them as a guide.

Great I will give that a read. I was initially going to use blocks to support but I am unsure about the best way to make them level as the floor rises and falls ~8 inches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back