Old damaged brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, as instructed by the Listing people, we stripped off the uPVC cladding from the 9" thick wall, and beneath we found old brickwork (in lime mortar) much of which brickwork had suffered from frost (presumably) - the outer skin had de-laminated in many places. This had been patched with render applied over the general area before the cladding was installed. In some places this render was applied over existing paint which is now soft.

I have cut out grooves along the joints in order to re-point (in lime mortar), but much of the render came off in the process, and much of what remains rings hollow.

The final finish is to be paint.

Should I re-patch the exposed damaged bricks with lime mortar? Or just paint? Should I use stabilising solution first?

I had thought to use Sandtex, which claims to be "breathable".

Any advice would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Well, yes - the counsel of perfection. But so many have suffered it would probably be easier simply to re-build the entire wall than to replace them one by one.

And if doing that, then it would have to be re-built to modern standards of insulation, etc.. No bad thing, but WAY above our budget, as pensioners. :(

AND the Listing people would go (even more) bananas at the thought of that "historic fabric" being destroyed! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back